[Rarebooks] fs: Strictly for le Birds (Barbecue) (1808)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jun 17 06:48:36 EDT 2005

[Bullard, Pierre] AVICEPTOLOGIE FRANCAISE, ou Traite General de toutes les
Ruses dont on peut se servir pour prendre les Oiseaux...

Paris; Chez Cussac: 1808. 5th edition.

A wonderful, well-illustrated French book about catching birds!  Sad (or
not?) to say, the French fascination for captivating avians was not purely
recreational -a quick look at French cookbooks of the period (or even
today) gives more than a hint at the true importance of catching our little
feathered friends.

The 34 copper plate engravings show a wide variety of tools and devices,
snares, nets, blinds, fake bushes and trees, and even a two-man cattle
costume, that were all used to outwit local songbirds and wild fowl.  The
frontispiece illustrates many of these contraptions arranged in the yard
behind a grand house, as a gentleman leaps from behind a bush in pursuit of
a pair of (rather small) songbirds.

Despite the fact that it went through 11 editions this book is not all that
common these days.  Only 4 editions are listed on OCLC (no listings for the
1808), with the 1822 and 1830 being the most numerous at 6 and 4 holdings
each; the 1795 and 1854 editions are each represented by a single copy. The
ABPC records show 3 copies sold at auction in the last 25 years, one of the
1795 edition and two copies of this, the 1808 edition.

Hardcover. 4.5"x7.5", xxiv + 312 pages, plus 34 engraved plates and an
engraved frontispiece.  Bound in old-ish marbled boards and pebbled cloth;
some cover soil and wear, spine a bit faded and soiled.  Internally there
is a little soil, but overall a nice copy.
Usually $450.00 // SPRING BARBECUING SPECIAL- $300.00

Pictures-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726a.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726b.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.