[Rarebooks] fs: Civil War Units (3 titles)

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Fri Jun 17 10:16:49 EDT 2005

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 7763 )  Dickey, Luther S[amuel]. HISTORY OF THE EIGHTY-FIFTH REGIMENT
PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, 1861-1865, COMPRISING AN AUTHENTIC
NARRATIVE OF CASEY'S DIVISION AT THE BATTLE OF SEVEN PINES.
New York: (J. C. & W. E. Powers), 1915. First printing, Full cloth, Quarto,
xiv, 467 pages, black & white plates, maps. Fine.
      Covers the unit's participation at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, the
Seven Days' Battles, Folly Island, Hilton Head Island, Bermuda Hundred, the
Siege of Petersburg, and more. Contains many passages from soldiers'
personal accounts as well as official reports. Fully one quarter of the book
deals with Seven Pines. This copy "Compliments of Estate of Norman B. Ream,"
per a printed slip tipped in at front hinge. First Lt. Ream was the youngest
commissioned officer in the unit and there is a biographical sketch and an
engraved portrait of him in the book. Unit roster with service information
at rear. Ref: DORNBUSCH, Vol. I, Part IV, #235; NEVINS, CWB Vol. I, p. 81.
Bound in original dark green cloth over boards with gilt-stamped spine and
upper board titles, blind-stamped border rule to both boards. A few minor
extremity bumps to boards, otherwise no significant wear.    $200.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7763.jpg
~
(No. 7761 )  Glazier, Willard [Worchester] (1841-1905). THREE YEARS IN THE
FEDERAL CAVALRY.
New York: R. H. Ferguson & Company, Publishers, 1870. First printing, Full
cloth, Duodecimo, xviii, [19]-339 pages, Black & white plates. Good.
      Glazier's memoir of the 2d New York Cavalry is very descriptive of
incidents of a cavalryman's life in camp and on the march. He gives
excellent accounts of his unit's part in Pope's campaign, the battles of
Chancelorsville, Yorktown, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, and much more.
Glazier was captured by the Confederates in October of 1863 at the Battle of
Buckland Mills, Virginia. Well illustrated. Tissue-guarded frontispiece
portrait of Glazier, tissue-guarded plate showing Union Cavalry commanders,
plus 8 other plates. Ref: EICHER #481; DORBUSCH Vol. I, Part II #85; NEVINS,
CWB Vol. I, p. 94. Bound in original lavender cloth over bevelled boards
with gilt and black stamped spine and upper board lettering and decorations,
dark brown endpapers. Fading to spine, shallow chipping along board edges,
spotting to cloth on both boards. Loss of top 1" of cloth on half of spine
head. Prior owner bookplate on front pastedown. Interior near fine.
$200.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7761.jpg
~
(No. 7762 )  McKee, James Harvey. BACK "IN WAR TIMES." HISTORY OF THE 144TH
REGIMENT, NEW YORK VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, WITH ITINERARY, SHOWING
CONTEMPORANEOUS DATE OF THE IMPORTANT BATTLES OF THE CIVIL WAR.
[New York]: Lieut. Horace E. Bailey, Publisher, 1903. First printing, Full
cloth, Octavo, 378 pages, black & white plates. Fair.
      Good information on the unit's recruitment and organization, and
participation in the siege of Charleston, campaigning in Florida, the
capture of Hilton Head, guarding a camp of Confederate prisoners, and more.
Well illustrated. Tissue-guarded frontispiece full length photo of unit
commander Col. James Lewis. Contains a roster of the unit with dates and
specifics of service for each member. Ref: DORNBUSCH Vol. I, Part II, #546;
NEVINS, CWB Vol. I, p. 126. Bound in original dark blue cloth over boards
with gilt-stamped spine and upper board lettering, blind-stamped ornaments
at top and bottom of upper board. Both hinges cracked, minor edge wear,
shallow bumps to lower fore corners. Lacks the plate facing page 190.
$100.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7762.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php