[Rarebooks] fs: Gen. Ridgway's prayer book

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Fri Mar 4 11:03:49 EST 2005

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 6158 )  [Ridgway, Matthew B.] Army and Navy Commission of the
Protestant Episcopal Church. A PRAYER BOOK FOR SOLDIERS AND SAILORS
(RIDGWAY'S COPY).
New York: Church Pension Fund, [1945]. Eighth Edition, Full cloth,
Twenty-fourmo, [iv], 91 pages. Fine.
      One of the little Episcopal pocket prayer books that Ridgway was
famous for carrying with him (see Clay Blair's "Ridgway's Paratroopers," and
other sources). This one apparently carried by him in Korea, as his
pencilled ownership signature on front free endpaper is dated "Korea, 1951."
It was acquired with several other books which came from the auction of the
Ridgway estate. On the verso of the front free endpaper Ridgway has written
out in pencil a prayer he apparently composed in 1942:
        "O Thou Creator of all life, Source of all
    wisdom, integrity and courage,
    Grant us (Penny, Matty and me), we pray,
    the wisdom to see, the integrity to
    choose, and the courage to execute
    thy will. Amen.
            M.B.R. - 1942"
General Ridgway planned and executed the world's first airborne assault,
which took place on Sicily during July 9 and 10, 1943. He also commanded the
Eighth Army in the Korean War, and succeeded Eisenhower as NATO Supreme
Allied commander in 1952. Noted historian Donald Goldstein calls Ridgway
"...sort of the Stonewall Jackson of the 20th Century. Religious, eccentric,
and the best tactical battlefield commander of his time." Bound in brown
cloth over boards with black title to upper board, light extremity rubs.
$500.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/6158.jpg

=:::=:::=T E R M S=:::=:::=
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php