[Rarebooks] fs: Battles of Jena and Sedan - scarce

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Fri Mar 4 11:17:21 EST 2005

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 3359 )  General Fay. ÉTUDE DE MARCHES (IÉNA - SEDAN) NOUVELLE ÉDITION
REFONDUE ET AUGMENTÉE [STUDY OF THE BATTLES OF JENA AND SEDAN].
Paris & Nancy: Berger-Levrault & Co., 1899. , Folio, x, 47 pages, Folded
tables and maps. Very good.
      Detailed comparison study of two important battles between France and
Prussia--Jena in 1806 and Sedan in 1870. In October of 1806 the French under
Napoleon routed the Prussians at Jena [Iéna] and Auerstadt, and inflicted
further heavy losses on them as they    retreated toward Weimar. In turn,
during the Franco-German War 54 years later the German General von Moltke
delivered a humiliating defeat to the  French forces he had cornered at Metz
when they were completely driven from their positions and forced to
surrender in Sedan. Emperor Napoleon III was among those captured. The text
of this study is in French. In addition to the text there are six folding
march tables that give detailed information on the forces engaged on both
sides in these battles. Numbers of battalions, squadrons batteries,
artillery pieces, cavalry divisions, etc., are noted along with other
general observations. The two large maps unfold to approximately 30" x 46"
and are color coded to clearly show troop positions over time. The text is
bound in paper, the tables and maps are in a folder, and these two parts are
laid into a portfolio made of printed paper over boards with cloth spine and
ribbon fasteners at fore corners. Some mild browning to edges, faint area of
damp staining along bottom edges of some leaves. The paper map folder is
cracking along the fold, and the ribbon fasteners on the portfolio are
fraying. Many leaves in the text unopened. Complete in all respects. A
lovely copy. See SANDLER COLLECTION #1229.    $300.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/3359.jpg

=:::=:::=T E R M S=:::=:::=
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php