[Rarebooks] FS: GERMAN ARTIST

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Tue Mar 15 18:53:18 EST 2005

We can offer:

ERNST MATTHES 1878-1918.  ALS PRIVATDRUCK HERAUSGEGEBEN VON MAGDALENE BLOHM
& PETER HIRSCHFELD.  (Hamburg, 1929).   #51 of 70 copies only.   Quarto,
original decorated boards, excellent copy.   Fronts-portrait (platinum
print  - small crease in tissue.)   31 plates (13 in color).  Presentation
copy from Magdalene Blohm, with a 2-page autograph letter signed from her
presenting the book and saying "It was meant to keep the memory of my
brother alive . . . It was never published .  .  .  [&c]"  This gifted but
ill-fated artist died in the World War in 1918.  He spent the years 1901-11
in Paris. Insel Verlag published his "Scenes Parisiannes."   Not in
OCLC.   RLIN  locates one copy at the Getty Museum.  There was an exhibit
of his work and a catalog at the Kunsthalle Bremen in 1972 and at Harvard
in 1973.   $225.00

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA), 1525 Shenkel Road, Pottstown, Pa, USA,
19465-7221.Telephone: 610 323 5289. email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Fax (When in the office) 610 323 0885
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
We accept visa, mastercard, checks (in US funds drawn on a US bank),
cash (by registered mail) and money orders.
Postage is charged at approximate cost. Institutions may be billed. A
courtesy discount is extended to bona fide book dealers. Pennsylvania
residents who are not tax-exempt should expect to pay the 6% State Sales
Tax. Returns are accepted within 10 days of receipt of books; we ask that
you notify us and pack the item well and insure it.