[Rarebooks] fs: Algonquin place names, Maryland

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Tue Mar 15 21:24:02 EST 2005

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 7664 )  Kenny, Hamill. THE ORIGIN AND MEANING OF THE INDIAN PLACE NAMES
OF MARYLAND.
Baltimore: Waverly Press, (1961). First printing, Full cloth, Octavo, xx,
186 pages, Fold-out map. Fine in a good dust jacket, Jacket in Mylar
protector.
      After a fine introductory essay discussing the ethnology and
migrations of Maryland's Indians, and the fantastic folk explanations of
some well-known Maryland place names, the author gets down to business.
Using his own Comparative Method in Algonquin linguistics, Dr. Kenny
analyzes varying opinions and makes reasoned and authoritative translations
of some 315 Indian mountain, stream, and town names in Maryland. A previous
book by Kenny on West Virginia place names was declared by H. L. Mencken to
be in several ways "superior to everything else of its sort." INSCRIBED and
SIGNED by Kenny at top of title page. Good bibliography. PRATT, EASTERN
SHORE #53. Bound in coarse maroon cloth over boards with gilt-stamped spine
lettering. Slight extremity rubs. Jacket has original price lined out and
new price written above in ink. Jacket also has a 1 1/4" piece lacking from
heel of spine, a few minor edge rubs, and closed 1/2" tear at top edge of
front flap.    $75.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7664.jpg

=:::=:::=T E R M S=:::=:::=
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php