[Rarebooks] fs: Noted Historian's copy of Winklmann's Ancient Art

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed May 11 08:55:19 EDT 2005

 From our new printed "Just Catalogued " List  #253-

Winkelmann, [Johann Joachim]. HISTOIRE DE l'ART CHEZ LES ANCIENS. Paris;
Chez Barrois / Savoye: 1789. Nouvelle edition, revue et corrigee.
Translated from the German by Michael Huber. A handsome French edition of
this famous book by the man generally credited as being the first modern
art historian.

Winkelmann (1717-1768) was a Librarian of the Vatican, President of
Antiquities of the Papal States, and an artistic and architectural advisor
to the powerful Cardinal Albani; he studied ancient Roman art extensively
in Rome and Florence, and participated in the early excavations of Pompeii
and Herculaneum. His "History of Ancient Art", first published in Germany
in 1764, remained a standard text for over a century and broke new ground
in many areas of our understanding of ancient art history and the
aesthetics of art. Indeed, the influences of his ideas are still felt
today. Winckelmann's career met a tragic end when he was murdered at an inn
in Trieste for some ancient coins he had incautiously shown to another guest.

This set of this important work belonged to Brantz Mayer, with his
bookplate in each volume, as well as his ownership signature on each title
page; several volumes have some minor pencil notations which also appear to
be in Mayer's handwriting. Brantz Mayer [1809-1879] was a lawyer, author,
traveler, and for 25 years the President of the Maryland Historical
Society, which he had helped to found. The ownership inscriptions on the
title pages of these books- "Brantz Mayer Paris Sept. 27th, 1833", would
coincide with Mayer's 1833 trip to Europe. In 1843 he was appointed to a
legation which visited Mexico, and he subsequently wrote "Mexico as it Was,
and as it Is". Among his other books were, "Mexico. Aztec, Spanish, and
Republican", "Captain Canot, or Twenty Years of an African Slaver,"
"Mexican Antiquities", "Memoir of Jared Sparks", and "Baltimore as it Was
and as it Is".

An interesting historical association of one of the most important early
art histories, owned by a scholar and author avidly interested in the
antiquities and archaeology of other cultures.

3 vols. Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", clx [iv] 212, 379, 328 pages; lacks the 27
engraved plates, which were supposed to be bound at the end of Volume 3,
but do not appear to have been bound into this set (there is certainly no
evidence of their having been bound in and then removed). Bookplates of
Brantz Mayer on each pastedown. Bound in 19th century marbled boards with
leather spines in red with elaborate impressed medallions and gilt chains,
with black labels and gilt titles. Covers with some rubbing and wear, but
very handsome overall; marbled endpapers, endpaper loose in Vol. 1; some
minor internal soil, a little browning, etc. A handsome set, with a great
association, but unfortunately lacking the plates and priced accordingly.
[07294]  $375.00

The covers-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07294.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.