[Rarebooks] FS: Original BUFFALO BILL AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT SPEECH delivered during theTrans-Mississippi Exposition on Cody Day

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed May 11 09:15:52 EDT 2005

CODY,  William  F. (BUFFALO BILL). AUTOGRAPH  MANUSCRIPT  SPEECH.
[1898].  Original  AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT of a speech given  by  Buffalo
Bill  on  31  August  1898   in  Omaha  during  the  Trans-Mississippi
Exposition  on Cody Day, a day of tribute to the man and his Wild West
show  on  the very grounds where its first performances  were  held. A
total  of five pages on four sheets of 6" x 9-1/2" stationary from the
Henrietta  Hotel in Chillicothe, Missouri, the final page with writing
on  both sides. Henry Sell and Victor Weybright reprinted part of this
speech  on  page  212 of their 1955 BUFFALO BILL AND  THE  WILD  WEST,
though   interestingly,  their  version   differs  somewhat  from  the
original.  For  example, the manuscript reads: "we men who are  called
Old  Timers  cannot  forget  the trails, the  conflicts  with  natural
enemies  that  we had to encounter in blazing the road for a march  of
civilization  and  national prosperity." Printed version: "we who  are
called  old-timers cannot forget the trials and tribulations we had to
encounter  while  paving  the path for civilization."  Some  excerpts:
"How  little  I  dreamed in the long ago that the lonely path  of  the
Scout  and Pony Express rider would lead my footsteps to the place you
have  assigned  me today.... The whistle of the locomotive has  hushed
the  howl  of  the coyote and the barbed wire fence has  narrowed  the
range  of  the  Cow  Puncher.... I will call upon the  Wild  West  and
Congress  of the rough riders of the world to join their  appreciation
of  the  honor you have conferred on the Wild West today."  Occasional
light  stain,  minor  wrinkling. Near Fine. An  exceptional  piece  of
Western Americana history.                                  $50,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent