[Rarebooks] fs: Porcelain with the Arms of Livery Companies -1/150

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Nov 1 09:36:04 EST 2005

Crisp, Frederick Arthur.  PORCELAIN AND POTTERY BEARING THE ARMS OF THE
LIVERY COMPANIES OF THE CITY OF LONDON IN THE POSSESSION OF FREDERICK
ARTHUR CRISP.

Privately Printed: 1911.  Edition limited to 150 numbered copies.

An enjoyable catalog of Company-arms bearing ceramics in the collection of
the noted antiquarian Frederick Arthur Crisp.  There were 26 pieces in all,
bearing arms of the blacksmiths, brewers, butchers, carpenters,
clothworkers, coopers, cordwainers, cutlers, founders, fishmongers,
joiners, merchant tailors, needle makers, parish clerks, poulters,
saddlers, salters, bricklayers, upholders, watermen, and weavers
companies.  The six illustrated pieces show the arms of the carpenters,
clothworkers, joiners, parish clerks, upholders, and weavers.  Each piece
and its crest are described, and there is also a list of the mottoes.  A
good half the pieces were Chinese export, the others a smattering of Leeds
pottery, and Lambeth and Bristol delftware.  Crisp published several
limited edition books featuring his collections, and they are uniformly
elegantly conceived and executed.

Hardcover.  10.5"x12", [i] 7, [iv] pages, printed one-side only, plus 6
color plates.  Blue cloth with parchment spine and tips and leather label,
as issued.  Covers with moderate soil, a little internal
soil.  [05660]  $275.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05660.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.