[Rarebooks] fs: Diamond Necklace Affair -18th Century Publications

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Nov 16 09:29:10 EST 2005

[Diamond Necklace Affair]  A Bound Collection of Pamphlets Issued by
Individuals Involved in the Affair of the Diamond Necklace.

Paris; 1786-1792.

An attractive period assemblage of a group of the printed pamphlets, 5 (of
6) issued by some of the figures in the Diamond Necklace Affair, comprising-

“MEMOIRE pour Le Comte de Cagliostro, Accuse; Contre M. L
Procureur-General, Accusateur; en prefence de M. le Cardinal de Rohan, de
la Comtesse de la Motte, & autres Co-Accuses”.

Paris: 1786. In which the Count Cagliostro defends himself.

“REPONSE pour le Comtesse de Valois-la-Motte, au Memoire du Comte de
Cagliostro”.

Paris: 1786. In which the Countess wages a counter-attack against
Cagliostro by pointing out what a fraud he is.

“MEMOIRE a Consulter, Pour Jean-Charles-Vincent de Bette d’Etienville,
Bourgeois de Saint-Omer en Artois, detenu es prisons du Chatelet de Paris,
Accuse; Contre le Sieur Vaucher, Marchand Horloger, & le Sieur Loque,
Marchand Bijoutier a Paris, Plaignans”. Paris: (1786).

“SUPPLEMENT et Suite Aux Memoires du Sieur de Bette d’Etienville, Ancien
Chirurgien Sous-Aide-Major, Pour servir de Reponse aux differens Memoires
faits contre lui”.

Paris: 1786. Jean Charles Vincent de Bette d'Étienville became involved
when he persuaded the Baron de Fages-Chaulnes to marry one of Cardinal
Rohan’s mistresses, as a result of which the Baron ran up a steep debt with
Vaucher & Loque, a pair of jewelers. As the Baron was involved in an
intrigue with the Cardinal, and had also been used as a fence for the
diamonds, and the prevailing mood was “arrest everyone”, d’Etienville found
himself a defendant... This eventually also involved the innocent Comte de
Precourt (see below).

“REPONSE de M. le Comte de Precourt, Colonel d’Infanterie, Chevalier de
l’Ordre Royal & Militaire de Saint Louis; aux Memoires des Sieurs
d’Etienville, Vaucher & Loque”.

Paris: 1786. Comte de Précourt, a widely-traveled and distinguished
infantry colonel, was swept into the Affair when he guaranteed the debt of
his fellow soldier, the Baron de Fages-Chaulnes. Again, the “arrest
everyone first and sort them out later” ethic prevailed, and le Comte
became a defendant.

“MEMOIRE de M. de Calonne, Ministre d’Etat, Contre le decret rendu le 14
fevrier 1791 par l’assemblee se disant nationale”.

Charles Alexandre de Calonne was a friend of the de Polignacs, intimates of
Marie Antoinette, and succeeded the popular Jacques Necker as Finance
Minister. Necker had favored borrowing over taxes and brought the country
to the edge of bankruptcy, but Colonne’s plan to correct this by taxing the
nobility caused his sacking. Necker was brought back one last time and his
second firing was the spark that led to the storming of the Bastille.
Colonne and Necker engaged in a furious “pamphlet war” for several years.
Here Colonne defends the du Polignacs against a judgment of 800,000 livres
related to the debt.

Hardcover. 8.5”x10.5”, 51 + 48 + 30 + 69 + 42 + 36 pages; decorative
headpieces; bound in old period flame-grained boards with a new leather
spine; covers rubbed and worn; contents with some soil, browning, and a few
scattered spots.  [07837]  $1,200.00

More on the Diamond Necklace Affair-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/diamond_necklace_affair.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for November
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.