[Rarebooks] fs: Japanese & Chinese Ceramics

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Oct 3 11:23:45 EDT 2005

Koyama, Fujio.  THE HERITAGE OF JAPANESE CERAMICS.  New York; Weatherhill /
Tankosha: 1973.  "In this superbly illustrated book an eminent
scholar-potter surveys the full range of Japanese ceramic art from its
origins in antiquity to its rich flowering in the late feudal age and its
subsequent achievements in the modern period. Here, in vivid color, are
representative works of all the major ceramic types [as well as] monochrome
views of present-day potters at work".  Hardcover. 10.5"x14.5", 252 pages,
95 color and 51 b/w illustrations, dj; light wear, but a nice
copy.  [07658]  $175.00

The covers->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07658.jpg>

Beurdeley, Cecile & Michel.  A CONNOISSEUR'S GUIDE TO CHINESE
CERAMICS.  New York; Harper & Row l, Publisher: 1974.  "A magnificently
produced volume ... which covers Chinese ceramic art from the Neolithic
Period to the 20th Century.  Each of the fifteen chapters begins with a
chronological table and ends with a catalog.  The nearly 500 illustrations
are carefully integrated with the text".  A sumptuous book, with beautiful
tipped-in color plates.  Hardcover.  11.5"x13", 317 pages, 111 tipped-in
color and 159 b/w illustrations, dj; near fine.  [05159]  $150.00

The covers->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05159.jpg>

Franks, Augustus W.  JAPANESE POTTERY, Being a Native Report with an
Introduction and Catalogue by Augustus W. Franks. London; Chapman and Hall,
Ltd.: 1880.  The South Kensington Museum (now the V&A) helped arranged an
exhibit of antique Japanese pottery at the Centennial Exhibition in
Philadelphia in 1876, and after the Exhibition the pottery was shipped to
England for the Museum's collection. A report on Japanese ceramics was
prepared by M. Shioda and translated by T. Asami, and that text, as well as
illustrations of the exhibited pottery, forms the basis of the present
book. The text was corrected by B. Nanjio and K. Kasawara, and new,
expanded descriptions of the items written for this book. An important
early report on Japanese pottery.  Hardcover. 5.5"x8", xvi + 112 pages, b/w
illustrations; light wear.  [04689] $50.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-04689.jpg>

More Orientalia->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/orienttp.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.