[Rarebooks] FS: Complete file of "Gentleman's Magazine" (including Poe's "...House of Usher")

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 15:15:19 EDT 2005

Burton, William E. and Edgar Allan Poe (eds.). THE GENTLEMAN’S MAGAZINE [AND
MONTHLY AMERICAN REVIEW]. Philadelphia: Published by Charles Alexander et al.
1837-1840. 7 vols. A complete file under this title. Illustrated with 24 (of
26) plates (as detailed in Heartmann & Carny’s BIBLIOGRAPHY OF POE). Added
engraved title in Vol. I. Uniformly bound in gilt decorated speckled calf (spine
of Vol. VII somewhat brighter). Vols, I, II, III, & V have been rebacked with
the original spines laid down. Vols. IV, VI, & VII with minor chips & defects
at extremities. Hinges of Vol. VI cracked but holding. Bookplate on front
pastedown of Vol. I. One leaf in Vol. VI defective, with about 20% torn away.
$1,000.00 (trade discount allowed)
The plates include some early mezzotints by J. Sartain. Early American
journals are quite problematic with plate counts. Volume V contains Poe’s “The Fall
of the House of Usher", and is very nice.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com