[Rarebooks] fs: AMERICANA sale- Scarce Civil War Memoir

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Sep 26 10:53:43 EDT 2005

It's AMERICANA WEEK at Joslin Hall!
Take 50% off any of the books on our Americana shelves-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/american.htm>

Books may also be viewed most afternoons at our office
this week  -please call ahead.

Knox, Rev. Charles E., et al. THE SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MARRIAGE OF
JOHN J. KNOX AND SARAH ANN KNOX, October 7th, 1873   [with]   SKETCH OF THE
LIFE OF CAPTAIN JOHN J. KNOX WILLIAMS, OLDEST GRANDSON OF JOHN J. AND SARAH
A. KNOX, WHO FELL IN DEFENCE OF HIS COUNTRY AT THE BATTLE OF CHAPIN'S FARM,
SEPTEMBER 29-30, 1864.

New York; Printed by Edward O. Jenkins for private circulation: [1875].

An interesting Victorian/Civil War item. The first part of the book
describes, in great detail, the week-long 60th Anniversary festivities of
the Knox's of Knoxboro, New York.

The second portion is a history prepared for, and read at, the event,
describing the Civil War service and death of their eldest grandson,
Captain John Knox Williams. In August, 1862, Williams joined the
newly-formed 117th New York, and served over the next 2+ years in the
defenses at Washington, on the Peninsula, on Folly Island (part of the
bombardment of Fort Wagner on Morris Island, S.C.), and at City Point and
Petersburg. The tale of his services with the Union Army is told largely in
his own words, and takes up 60 pages of the book.

Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", 107 pages, several line illustrations, genealogical
tree; original green cloth with gilt diamond device and title on the front
cover; some cover rubbing and wear, spine head chipped, rear inner hinge
reglued, front inner hinge partially reglued; short closed tear at the base
of the genealogical tree; ex-institutional with a bookplate neatly removed
and several old blindstamps. [06325]

Normally $175.00 // $87.50 this week.

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-06325.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.