[Rarebooks] FS: Fine George Washington Carver 3-page Autograph Letter Signed

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Sep 28 07:46:33 EDT 2005

CARVER, George Washington. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Tuskegee,
AL:  17  July 1932. Superb 3-page SIGNED letter on Tuskegee  Institute
letterhead  of  @450  words  to a student addressed  as  Mr.  Davis. A
typically  effusive  letter but with some scientific content as  well.
In  part: "To me it is so wonderfully inspiring that in these  chaotic
times,  the  great  creator  should  give   to  me  such  dear,  young
'Timothys.'  People  of vision, dear boys who measure up in every  way
to  the  dear young fellows of the Bible who were chosen  for  special
work....  My  dear,  handsome  boy has one of the  most  pleasing  and
interesting  minds  that  I have come in contact with.... I  have  had
persons  out  with  me collecting who claimed to be  mycologists,  and
they  did not do any better than you." Carver gives a specific example
of  Davis  finding "a very very complex thing called Diatripe...  What
you  told  me  about  the plant enthuses me....  We  will  begin  your
Botanical  and  Mycological  work in earnest as soon as you  get  your
microscope."  Carver mentions that he thought of Davis when he found a
large  plum tree and a pear tree, both diseased. He concludes:  "Dear,
I  forgot  to say, that you should not drink the herb tea that I  gave
you  longer than 9 days, which I think will be all you will need. Your
great  spirit  and God given talents have added so much to  my  life."
Carver  developed  several hundred industrial uses for peanuts,  sweet
potatoes,  and  soybeans and developed a new type of cotton  known  as
Carver's  hybrid.  His discoveries induced southern farmers  to  raise
other  crops  in  addition  to cotton. Two punch  holes  at  very  top
margin. Normal creases from folding. About Fine.              $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent