[Rarebooks] fs: Americana Sale- Western Travels, A Selection

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Sep 28 06:55:02 EDT 2005

It's AMERICANA WEEK at Joslin Hall!
Take 50% off any of the books on our Americana shelves-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/american.htm>

Going to be in Western Massachusetts?
Our office is open for browsing most afternoons
this week  -please call ahead.

Parker, Rev. Samuel.  JOURNAL OF AN EXPLORING TOUR BEYOND THE ROCKY
MOUNTAINS...  Ithica; Andrus, Woodruff & Gauntlett: 1844. "Under the
direction of A.B.C.F.M. containing a description of the geography, geology,
climate, productions of the country, and the numbers, manners, and customs
of the natives: with a map of Oregon Territory". First published in
1838.  Parker traveled with the American Fur Company's 1835 expedition. The
map is considered to be the earliest accurate map of the Territory.
Hardcover.  5"x8", 416 pages, folding map; original blindstamped covers
with gilt spine title; covers somewhat soiled, spine head and base worn,
one small cloth chip on hinge; contents with scattered soil and foxing; map
moderately foxed and frayed a bit along the edges; still, a decent copy in
the original covers and with the map. [02366]  $350.00 // THIS WEEK $175.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02366.jpg>

Schoolcraft, Henry R.  NARRATIVE OF AN EXPEDITION THROUGH THE UPPER
MISSISSIPPI TO ISTAKA LAKE, the actual source of this River; embracing an
exploratory trip through the St. Croix and Burntwood (or Broule) Rivers: in
1832.  New York; Harper & Brothers: 1834.  This was one of several trips by
Schoolcraft, and his expedition actually managed to discover the source of
the Mississippi. The actual purpose of Schoolcraft's mission was to settle
continuing troubles between the Chippewa and Sioux Nations, talk to as many
Indian leaders as he could, and maintain the peace. Interestingly, he was
also provided with a surgeon and instructed to initiate a smallpox
vaccination program for the Indians. Hardcover. 6"x9.5", 307 pages, 2
folding and 3 single-page maps; original pebbled cloth covers, spine label
perished; covers somewhat soiled and worn; two bookplates (one over the
other); several very small gouges along the fore edge; some soil and
spotting internally; both maps have an archival tape repair to the back,
light soil and spotting and a few short tears; small hole in the margin of
the first map. Pages with light scattered spotting, especially to the title
page; some page creases and soil. [02408] $600.00 // THIS WEEK $300.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02408.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.