[Rarebooks] FS: Krauss [TOLEDOT YESHU] DAS LEBEN JESU NACH JUDISCHEN QUELLEN

Kaaterskill Books books at kaaterskillbooks.com
Fri Sep 30 14:23:34 EDT 2005

We offer for Sale:

Krauss, Samuel, Herausgegeben und Erlaeutert. DAS LEBEN JESU NACH
JUDISCHEN QUELLEN [TOLEDOT YESHU]. Berlin: S. Cavalry, 1902. viii,
309 pp. 8vo. Three quarter black cloth over marbled paper-covered
boards (hardback).  First edition. Includes bibliographical
references and index. Text in German, Hebrew and Aramaic; discussion
in German.

Samuel Krauss's brilliant analysis of the Toledot Yeshu, a
compilation of stories told about Jesus and the early Church of which
Voltaire wrote: "the most ancient Jewish writing which has been
transmitted to us against our religion. This is a life of Jesus
Christ, completely contrary to our holy evangelists." Written during
the late Talmudic period, the work was intended to satirize the
Gospels. Krauss, a Hungarian philologist, historian, and talmudic
scholar, (and author of over a 1000 works including his Talmudische
Archaeologie), showed how the mainly Christian sources were reworked
and mingled with folklore. Still the best source for this underlying
work as well as a critique. Reprinted in 1977 and 1994 but hard to
find in any edition.

A very good copy, a few tiny chips to the spine ends, boards and
extremities rubbed, owner's signature to free end paper and title
page, binding solid.   [26498]  $200.00

http://www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/26498.jpg

Regards,

Charles Kutcher
Kaaterskill Books
P.O. Box 122
East Jewett, NY 12424.
Phone: 518-589-0555.
Email: books at kaaterskillbooks.com
Member of I. O. B. A.

TERMS:

Call or email us to reserve a book. We accept checks, money orders,
American Express, Mastercard, and Visa. Foreign orders should be in
U.S. funds on a U.S. bank. New York residents please add appropriate
sales tax or forward a tax id number. Libraries and Institutions can
be billed. Trade allowance. Postage  is $4.00 media mail. For
international orders, postage is calculated individually. All books
may be returned in original condition for any reason within two weeks
with prior notification.