[Rarebooks] fs: Solar Energy Pioneer Association 1884 Tin book

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 4 09:45:32 EDT 2006

A copy which belonged to the Father of Solar Energy in Portugal-

Charleton, Arthur G. TIN: DESCRIBING THE CHIEF METHODS OF MINING, DRESSING
& SMELTING IT ABROAD. With Notes upon Arsenic, Bismuth and Wolfram.

London; E. & F.N. Spon: 1884.

A scholarly study of European methods of mining, dressing and smelting tin,
chiefly in Bohemia and Saxony. Charleton was a member of the American
Institute of Mining Engineers.

This copy bears the ownership signature of Manuel Antonio Gomes 'Himalaya'
[1868-1933(?)]. "Father Himalaya" is considered to be the father of solar
energy in Portugal, and a visionary pioneer in the field of renewable
energy. After taking Holy Orders in the Society of Jesus he studied natural
sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics and astronomy, and traveled to
France where he studied with the noted chemist Marcelin Berthelot.

In 1899 he was granted a patent by the French government for a device to
produce heat by focusing the sun's rays; in 1900 he constructed a test
device in the Pyrenees and attained a temperature of 1100 degrees
centigrade. In 1902 an experiment in Lisbon attained 2000 degrees, and he
made a final, startling demonstration of the power of such a device at the
St. Louis Exposition in Missouri 1904. There he constructed his
"Pireliofero", a 3-story high parabolic mirror mounted on a monstrous iron
framework which focused sunlight on an oven mounted at the top of the
structure. The oven reached a temperature of 3500 degrees, melting a test
chunk of basalt, and Father Himalaya won a Grand Prize for his efforts. He
promoted other forms of renewable energy as well, including tidal energy
and hydroelectric power, wind power, and geothermal power. Alas, there was
plenty of cheap coal and oil available, and his work was generally ignored
and forgotten.

Father Himalaya retired to become chaplain at Viana Castle, a charity home,
where he died at the age of 65. His work has excited interest in Europe in
recent years, and his ideas have only lately attained a measure of the
respect which eluded them in his lifetime.

Hardcover. 6"x9", 83 pages with 2 b/w plates and several text
illustrations, plus 17 folding plates of plans and elevations. Light wear,
a little rubbing to the tips, etc., text a bit browned, endpaper slightly
spotted, but a very nice copy; ownership inscription "Rev. M.A.G. Himalaya,
Braga, Portugal, 1907" on the title page. [05444] $200.00

The Book -
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05444.jpg>

Father Himalaya and the "Pireliofero" -
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05444a.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.