[Rarebooks] fs: 1819 Gas Lighting Book

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 4 09:46:15 EDT 2006

Accum, Friedrich Christian & F.W. Lampadius. PRAKTISCHE ABHANDLUNG UBER DAS
GASLICHT, eine vollstandige Beschreibung des Apparats und der Maschinerie,
um Strassen, Hauser und Manufacturen damit zu beleuchten, enthaltend...

Weimar; Verlag des Gr. H.S. priv. Landes-Industrie-Comptoirs: 1819.

An expanded edition of Accum's 1815 "A Practical Treatise on Gas-Light",
first published in Germany in 1816 and apparently augmented here with extra
material and plates. Accum's book was one of the key early studies of the
practical application of gas-lighting, perhaps the key early study. Accum,
an omnivorous researcher, undertook his work with gas-lighting at the
behest of the London Gas-Light Company and he presented his findings, which
he would then enlarge in this book, to Parliament. He begins his text by
exploring other facets of illumination and lighting such as candles, the
burning properties of tallow, theories of combustion and the working of
flame. He then minutely describes the theory and practice of gas-lighting
as it was then being developed, including much technical material as well
as general remarks on its advantages. The plates illustrate the machinery
involved and also a wide variety of beautiful decorative gas fixtures and
lamps.

Accum had been born in Westphalia in 1769 and went to England in 1793. A
member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Berlin and the Royal Irish
Academy, and a Fellow of the Linnaean Society, he wrote popular works on
chemistry and brewing and then, in 1820, on food adulterations. This last
project made him many enemies, and within a year he was implicated in the
theft of leaves from books in the library of the Royal Institution and was
forced to leave England, depressed and disgraced, and return to his native
Germany.

Hardcover. 5"x8.25", 260 + x + 195 pages, with several illustrations in the
text, 2 folding charts, plus 10 and 7 engraved plates, all except one
folding, including an impressive plate of a gas works. Bound in old mottled
boards with a partially detached spine covering; covers rubbed and worn;
pages lightly toned and some stains here and there; old stamp on title
page; engraved bookplate. [05125] $1,200.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05125.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.