[Rarebooks] fs: King Tut's Curse! (well, not really...)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Apr 6 07:48:40 EDT 2006

"Catalogue of Egyptian, Greek, Roman & Babylonian Antiquities, Etc.
comprising the Collection of Egyptian Antiquities, Formed by the Hon. R.
Bethell; and other properties"

London; Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge: December 15-17th, 1924.

A three-day sale, the first two days of which were devoted to the Bethell
Egyptian Collection. Richard Bethel, the son of Lord Westbury, was Howard
Carter's personal secretary and was among those present when the tomb of
Tutankhamun was opened. Bethell's death of heart failure in 1929 became one
of the so-called "mysterious" deaths associated with the "Curse of King Tut".

The Bethell connection to the Curse was cemented when his father, Lord
Westbury, committed suicide shortly after his son's death. Lord Westbury's
hearse then ran over and killed a child on the way to the cemetery,
providing concrete proof of some sort for the Curseniks.

In any case, this auction catalog of Richard Bethell's personal collection
of ancient Egyptian artifacts remains an interesting sidelight to the King
Tut story. Hardcover. 6"x10", 621 lots, 59 pages, plus 5 b/w plates
illustrating 23 lots; original paper covers bound into cloth; cloth with
some soil; light wear. [07975] $100.00

Pictures->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07975.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.