[Rarebooks] fs: Important Athenaeum library catalog (1874)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Apr 7 10:08:33 EDT 2006

[Cutter, Charles Ammi]  CATALOGUE OF THE LIBRARY OF THE BOSTON ATHENAEUM
1807-1871.

Boston: 1874-1882.

The original edition of a monumental and important catalog. The Boston
Athenaeum was a leading literary and artistic society in the 19th century,
and its library contained a wide breadth of important material on American
art, history and literature.

The library was catalogued by Charles Ammi Cutter, the librarian of the
Athenaeum. Cutter [1837-1903] was an important influence on librarianship
and cataloging, and a founding member of the American Library Association.
He graduated third in his class at Harvard at age 18, spent several years
cataloging the Harvard library, and married Sarah Appleton, one of the
first female library assistants in the Harvard cataloguing department.

When he came to the Athenaeum he was faced with the daunting task of
cataloging its quarter-of-a-million volumes, a project that would
eventually take almost a decade. Cutter's approach, which was designed to
be most helpful to the patron looking for books (instead of the librarian
or cataloguer organizing them) would be expanded upon in his "Rules for a
Dictionary Catalog", and would become a cornerstone of modern Library Science.

Throughout his career at the Athenaeum and as a President of the ALA and
editor of its Journal, Cutter would be concerned with making the library
more useful to patrons, especially those who needed it to further their
educations and place in life. After he left the Athenaeum and was Librarian
of the Forbes Library in Northampton, Massachusetts, Cutter would write-

"We are to buy the best books... Not the best book for the librarian, nor
for the book committee, nor for the self-educated book committee outside
the library, nor for the shelves (to keep them warm by never leaving them);
but the best books to satisfy our clients for amusement and knowledge and
mental stimulus and spiritual inspiration. The library should be a
practical thing to be used, not an ideal to be admired."

5 volumes. Hardcovers. 7.5"x11", 3,402 + 24 pages; ex-historical society
library, bound in old green cloth with leather spine labels with gilt
titles; discoloration from a small label at the base of each spine; several
old stamps, etc. Covers with minor soil and a little wear; the pages are
very brittle and several, including the title page to the first volume,
have several closed tears.  [07960]  $500.00

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.