[Rarebooks] FS: Franklin Roosevelt letter to his eldest son about football, Warm Springs, and building a dam

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Apr 7 09:27:50 EDT 2006

 From one of the finest collections of Franklin Roosevelt material offered in
many years, part of our catalogue of SIGNED PRESIDENTIAL material now posted on
our website: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also included are important signed
and association copies of LBJ, Harry Truman and Theodore Roosevelt.

ROOSEVELT,  Franklin Delano. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED  (ALS)  to
his  son James about football, Warm Springs, and building a dam.  Warm
Springs:  13 October 1926. A superb two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER on  both
sides  of  Roosevelt's  personal Hyde Park stationery,  completely  in
FDR's  hand, to his son James Roosevelt SIGNED as "Father."  Roosevelt
begins    by  talking  about  Jimmy's   life  at  school,   especially
football--"your  old  Dad  is keen to hear about it all-- and  he  was
once  a  Freshman  himself!"--before talking about Warm  Springs  from
which  this  letter  is addressed: "I'm working hard on  my  exercises
down   here  &  our  medical  experiment   period  has  been  a  joint
success--all  of  the 25 patients have greatly benefited. I hope  this
winter  to get enough people to finance it on a much larger  permanent
basis"  (FDR  established the Warm Springs Foundation in 1927).  "Next
winter  I will come here in Feb. instead of going to Florida & I  wish
much  that  you would come down here at the midyears or  at  Easter- I
would  love  to  have you here alone. There are  lots  of  interesting
problems-  Just  now I am organizing the fishing club & getting  ready
to  let  the contract for the big dam which will make a 35 acre  lake.
This  project  should finance itself in 3 years- Lots of  love--  Take
care  of  yourself. Affect. Father." Wonderful content  touching  upon
many  of  FDR's interests and foreshadowing the TVA program  begun  in
his  administration. James Roosevelt became an insurance  executive, a
position  he  left  in 1937 to become secretary to his father  in  the
White  House.  He was decorated for his service as a Marine  in  World
War  II. Autograph letters completely in Franklin Roosevelt's hand are
quite scarce. Normal creases from folding. About Fine       $10,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent