[Rarebooks] fs: Well-timed book on lacquer arts

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Apr 14 10:44:13 EDT 2006

Koizumi, G.  LACQUER WORK. A PRACTICAL EXPOSITION OF THE ART OF LACQUERING
TOGETHER WITH VALUABLE NOTES FOR THE COLLECTOR.  London; Sir Isaac Pitman &
Sons: 1923.

The first modern, practical, English-language guide to lacquering, written
by a Japanese master of the craft, and published at the exact time that Art
Deco designers and Japanese lacquer artists were teaming up to produce some
of the 20th century's most luxurious decorative lacquer works.

This elegant book includes illustrations of the techniques employed, and
also features collotype plates illustrating antique Eastern and Western
examples from the V&A's collection. Both Koizumi, in his Introductory Note,
and E.F. Strange, in his Foreword, address the issue of the various
lacquering techniques and materials and their uses by various craftsmen.
Additionally, Strange voices the hope that modern craftsmen and artists
will make more use of lacquer to produce modern objects, a hope that was
even then being answered by Art Deco designers including Eileen Gray and
Jean Dunand, both of whom worked with Japanese artists.

Anna Jackson, writing in the recent exhibition catalog "Art Deco,
1910-1939" (Bulfinch Press: 2003) notes that Art Deco designers were
attracted to lacquer "not only by the craft of its production, but also by
the richness, depth and sensuality of its surfaces... the interest in
lacquer was part of a widespread taste for sumptuous surfaces and striking
effects. Through its innovative use Art Deco designers absorbed and
transformed a centuries-old East Asian medium into the essence of modernity".

Koizumi's book was published just as interest in this sensual medium was
exploding in the West, and those great Art Deco masterpieces were being
created.

Hardcover. 7.5"x10", 45 pages with 11 b/w illustrations, plus 36 b/w
collotype plates; elaborate gilt-decorated black cloth covers; bookplate of
art historian and Connoisseur magazine editor C. Reginald Grundy. Light
soil, a little wear, but a nice copy.  [07347]  $125.00

The Covers->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07347.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.