[Rarebooks] FS: FDR writes to his son about his injured leg

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sat Apr 15 16:37:50 EDT 2006

ROOSEVELT,  Franklin Delano. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED  (ALS)  to
his  son  James  about  his injured leg. Marion:  Nov.  19  [@1925]. A
two-page  AUTOGRAPH LETTER on both sides of Roosevelt's personal  Hyde
Park  stationery, completely in FDR's hand, to his son James Roosevelt
SIGNED  as "Father." In full: "It is mighty nice news that the leg  is
getting  on  well & that nothing happened to a nerve or bone - but  it
must  be hard to lug around a heavy plaster cast. My heart went out to
you  that Wednesday on the first play - I have never known quite  such
a  piece  of  hard luck - and to have lost the game would  after  that
have  been  too much - I can't tell you the number of old  grads  from
Bob  Emmons  down who came up & sympathized with you & me -  &  nearly
all  of  them made the point that you had done your full share in  the
building  up  of the team, & that you share fully in final  victory. I
am  sending you 'One Increasing Purpose' by Hutchinson - I like it & I
think  you  will if you can get into it past the first  100  pages-- I
expect  to get to Aunt Margaret's on Thanksgiving Day at about  noon &
hope  to find both you & Elliott - I take it you both will go back  to
school  [Groton]  that  night.  Write me details - I  will  return  to
Marion  at  4  p.m. so on to let Ray & John  have  their  Thanksgiving
Dinner  that  night. Ever your affectionate Father."  James  Roosevelt
broke  his  leg during his final year at Groton, ending  his  football
career.  He became an insurance executive, a position he left in  1937
to  become  secretary  to  his  father in  the  White  House.  He  was
decorated  for his service as a Marine in World War II. Normal creases
from folding. Near Fine                                       $5000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent