[Rarebooks] FA: California Gold Rush; 1872 California Guidebook, &c...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 18 09:42:21 EDT 2006

We are pleased to be offering a trio of California-related books on a major
internet auction site this week. These books are offered without reserve,
because Governor Ahhnold says that only Girly-Men use reserves-

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

CALIFORNIA: FOR HEALTH, PLEASURE, AND RESIDENCE. A BOOK FOR TRAVELLERS AND
SETTLERS.  By Charles Nordhoff. Published by New York Harper & Brothers in
1878, first published in 1872.  "There have been Americans who saw Rome
before they saw Niagara; and for one who has visited the Yosemite, a
hundred will tell you about the Alps, and a thousand about Paris. Now, I
have no objection to Europe; but I would like to induce Americans, when
they contemplate a journey for health, pleasure, or instruction, or all
three, to think also of their own country, and particularly of California,
which has so many delights in store for the tourist, and so many
attractions for the farmer or settler looking for a mild and healthful
climate and a productive country." -Charles Nordhoff

THE DISCOVERY OF GOLD IN CALIFORNIA.  By John S. Hittell & James W.
Marshall & Edwin G. Waite, with introduction by Richard H. Dillon.
Published by Lewis Osborne in Palo Alto, 1968. This is the first printing
of the first edition, limited to 1,139 copies.  "The Discovery of Gold in
California" is a special edition reprint of essays by John S. Hittell,
James W. Marshall and Edwin G. Waite, which were first published in The
Century Magazine in February and May of 1891.

THE GOLD RUSH LETTERS OF J.D.B. STILLMAN.  By J.D.B. Stillman with an
introduction by Kenneth Johnson.  Published by Lewis Osborne in Palo Alto,
1967. Limited edition of 2,350.  Dr. Stillman's letters were first
published by A. Roman of San Francisco in 1877, as part of his book
"Seeking the Golden Fleece". The letters are reproduced here as they were
in that book, without salutation or closing, making them feel far more like
diary entries than letters.

Plus many other books on American history, sporting art, military history,
and much more, all offered without reserves-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

-  --  --  --  --  -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.