[Rarebooks] FA: 1863 Civil War, Immigration, Indian Reparation Laws + more!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 25 08:32:29 EDT 2006

Offered to the highest bidder this week, a single volume in which Congress
promotes Grant, asks John Ericsson to build more ironclads, and tells
Colorado to draw up a Constitution... all offered without reserve, because
quite frankly, I can't chew gum and figure reserves at the same time, so
guess which one I gave up?
-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

"Laws of the United States of America, passed at the First Session of the
Thirty-eighth Congress 1863-64" Published by the Washington Government
Printing Office in 1864. Oh, for the good old days when all the acts and
resolutions of the first session of the U.S. Congress could be neatly bound
into a 492 page book. No lengthy amendments here, just straightforward
lawmaking.

There is a great deal of interesting Civil War content including:

- the rank of Lieutenant-General is revived (for Ulysses Grant)
- the Fugitive Slave Act is repealed
- the crew of the ironclad gunboat "Essex" are awarded a bounty for
destroying the rebel ram "Arkansas"
- "an Act to provide for the speedy punishment of guerrilla marauders"
- a resolution calling for an investigation of the Fort Pillow Massacre
- a resolution to authorize a contract with John Ericsson (builder of the
ironclad "Monitor") to construct the floating batteries "Dictator" and
"Puritan"
- Congressional thanks to many generals, including Nathan P. Banks for his
victory at Port Hudson, William T. Sherman for his victory at the Battle of
Chattanooga, and Admiral Porter for opening the Mississippi River.

Also of interest is the first Congressional act to centralize control of
immigration, including:

- Encouragement of immigration
-The appointment of a Commissioner of immigration, his salary and length of
term
- The banning of the establishment of slavery or servitude for emigrants
- Establishment of the United States Emigrant Office in New York

And, on top of all that, the acts that give Colorado and Nevada, and
Nebraska the right to form constitutions and state governments. All of this
is but a small sampling of the information contained in this book.

Just listed; no reserve-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

-  --  --  --  --  -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.