[Rarebooks] fs: History of Block Island, RI; 1877

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Sun Apr 30 11:52:14 EDT 2006

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 8725 )  Livermore, S[amuel]. T[ruesdale]. (1824-1892). A HISTORY OF
BLOCK ISLAND FROM ITS DISCOVERY, IN 1514, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1876.
Hartford: Case, Lockwood & Brainard Co., 1877. First printing, Original
cloth, Duodecimo, 371 pages. Good.
      Block Island managed to get along nicely for 200 years without lawyers
or the printing press. Livermore's work was the first comprehensive history,
and he not only gathered the historical facts from scattered sources but
also collected the invaluable personal reminiscences of many old-timers then
still living, including his own. He also covers the physical features of the
island, its role in the Revolutionary War and War of 1812, and tells
something of its prominent families such as the Balls, Champlins, Dickens,
Dodges, Hulls, Littlefields, Lewis's, Mitchells, Motts, Paynes, Roses, and
others. Includes index. HOWES #L394. Bound in original brown cloth over
boards with dulled gilt spine lettering. Fore corners of boards are slightly
bumped with some minor fraying to tips, head and heel of spine are chipped
to 1/8", there are some old silverfish tracks on both boards. The front
hinge is cracked and there is a 3/4" split along top inner margin of title
page. Textblock is mildly browned but it remains quite a nice copy of this
important history.    $250.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/8725.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $4.00 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. Shipping charges for other carriers or international delivery quoted
individually upon inquiry. Payment accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex,
Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php