[Rarebooks] GRAPES...galore. Steinbeck.

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Mon Dec 18 16:06:41 EST 2006

THE GRAPES OF WRATH
(1939)

A12a    THE GRAPES OF WRATH.  New York: The Viking Press
(1939)  Original light gray/beige textured cloth, original brown
morocco spine, spine gilt, with an ornament, gold and blind rules,
t.e.g., bottom and fore-edges rough-trimmed.  Endpapers with "Battle
Hymn of the Republic" music, old plantation melody, words by Julia
Ward Howe front and rear.  Original gray paper, morocco tipped
slipcase (edges faded).  First edition, unique copy, bound [in the
manner of a few other titles - similar purpose] by the publisher for
Steinbeck and his wife Carol, who had suggested the endpaper design.
The book is very fine.  Loosely enclosed, on Viking stationery, a
half-sheet, a brief holograph note: "For Carol with love / Pat
[Covici]".  One here remembers the first of the two printed
dedications in this novel: "To Carol who willed it."

           Present also, a penciled note, 8 lines, torn scrap, the
several hands uneducated:

                                                                                                 "Kern
Migertory Camp

                 Dear mr. Steinbeck;

We Thank you for your fine letter.  Be sure to Come again And be one
of us Soon.

                                                                 Camp
Central Comm
                                                                 Chairman,
S.E. Ecstrom
                                                                 Member.
Jo Steffens
                                                                 Manigar.
O. collins"

Many years ago, in 1972,  I was called to Carmel Valley by Carol
Henning Brown; she wished to get rid of some books, the ones
inscribed to her in private pig love-Latin.  I dutifully catalogued
each, pricing each, but offered all as a lot, at the simple total
[Serendipity Books Catalogue 29: Literature (Early & Modern), lot
736]. There were 20 titles and the price for the collection was
$10,360.00.  It is very likely I was in for 20%.  I received no
orders for some time.  Then John S. Van E. Kohn of Seven Gables
called, asking if the books were still available.  I said they
were.  He said, well, he had just been looking at the catalogue, when
Waller Barrett happened to call, Barrett was even then still on the
phone, and John read him the description and Barrett said he would
like them.  I sent the lot to Seven Gables, at a discount, I am sure,
postpaid, I know.  They are now at the University of Virginia,
Alderman Library, C. Waller Barrett Collection.  I received no other
orders.   Carol said she did not love her former husband any more.
Actually, as I recollect, she said she hated him.  Her first husband
was John Steinbeck.  She called me back a bit later. Said I'd
overlooked one book, or she had, because it was not inscribed.  This
book.  $65,000.00

A12a    THE GRAPES OF WRATH.   New York: The Viking Press
(1939).   Original light gray cloth, line drawing stamped, continuous
on the covers, with the illustrated endpapers, a printing of "The
Battle Hymn of the Republic" as suggested by Steinbeck's wife Carol,
the co-dedicatee. Top edges stained yellow.   First edition, first
printing.  Fine in unclipped dust jacket. The jacket was designed by
Elmer Hader.

             The book is beyond common, for the first impression
consisted of 50,000 copies, and within the first year, another
380,000 copies appeared in successive printings.   Therefore, one
must conclude, signed or inscribed copies are common, unlike THE LONG
VALLEY.  So one hopes for a little resonance in an association.  This
copy is inscribed at publication on the front free endpaper "For
Charlotte Newbegin / John Steinbeck."   For many years Charlotte
owned an independent book store in San Francisco, loyal to all local
writers.  Her bookseller's ticket for 358 Post Street, opposite Union
Square is upon the upper edge of the rear endpaper. She later moved
to 8 Tillman Place.  $25,000.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702