[Rarebooks] Want List

Laderman zita at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 7 00:10:38 EST 2006

I have been realizing that whatever I don;t have
and want for my own collection, no matter how
itsy it seems, is quite rare. So here is a list
of such rarities which happen to be original
American novels with comic illustrations [I
collect only book with those]. Although they are
on my list I have tried to leave out anything
which would interest political, issue oriented,
slavery or other collectors. This is meant to be
a purely humor list with no other issue. I may
have made an error, but I didn't make many. I am
only interested in these editions. I will
probably get at most, two or three a year off the
list, so if you feel like it, copy it and keep
it. I already know that at my age and in my
condition, I will never finish getting the items
on the want list, but somehow I must still try. I
seem to be the only one out there for some of
these. Some day I will put up the list I have to
fight other people for whenever they show up.

Sincerely,
Gabriel
Zita Books

Asmodeus,Pseud. The Jenny Lind Mania in Boston
Boston 1850 Wr. 1516, 17.

[Boyce, John] Shandy McGuire NY, 1848

AN ATHENIAN [Geo. Forster Beck] : Life in Town or
the Boston Spy Boston 1844 or Odd parts in wraps.
Being a Series of Sketches Illustrative of Whims
and Women in the 'Athens of America'. Boston:
Redding and Company, 1844. I need parts 2 and 4.
And if There are more than 4, any further parts.
I prefer parts, eithe odd or whole.

Burnham, Geo P.  Gleanings from the portfolio of the "Young 'un" : A series of
humorous sketches ; Illustrated by Hitchcock. Boston : R.B. Fitts & Co.,
American Union" office, 22 School Street : Stacy , Richardson and Company,
printers, No. 11 Milk street, 1849. vi, [2],
[7]-142 p., [6] plates : ill.; 19 cm.

Durivage, F.A. Stray Subjects Arrested &   Bound Over. Phila., 1848

Gunn, Thomas Butler   Mose among the Britishers;
or, The b'hoy in London Phila.,
A.	Hart, 1850

Jones, Joseph:. Chronicles of Pineville :
embracing sketches of Georgia scenes, incidents, and characters /
by the author of "Major Joness courtship" ; with
twelve original engravings by Darley. Philadelphia :
Carey and Hart, 1845. Also attrib. Thompson, Ed.1850 (2nd ed.), 2586

[Lewis, Henry] Odd Leaves from the Life of a
Louisiana Swamp Doctor. Phila A. Hart, 1850.

Mathews, Cornelius : The Career of Puffer Hopkins NY 1842.  Wr, 1829. Also The
  Motley Book 1838 Original Parts only, Odd Parts Welcome. First Edition of
  Interest

Morganiana; or the Wonderful Life and Terrible Death of Morgan Boston 1828.

Neal, Joseph C.  Charcoal sketches : second
series ... / illustrated by Darley. NY 1848, NY 1850.

Portraits of the People, or Illustrations and
Sketches of American Character NY 1841 or
odd parts. Wr. 2065 Etc. I have Part 1 only. 5 parts were issued.

Peppergrass See Boyce

Richmond, James Cook : A Midsummer's Day -Dream:
Libellous, or a little book of the vision of
Shawmut.
By Admonish Crime, Pseud. Boston, NY
August 1847.or 1859. The Portrait Frontis.must be comic!!

Selden, R. E.: The newest keepsake for 1840 :
containing the best account of the march of mind,
together with the speeches, circumstances, and
doings of the Trundle-bed Convention in session
at the Marlboro Chapel, January 8, 1840. Norw[i]ch [Conn.] : M.B. Young.

Selden, R. E.: The newest keep-sake for eighteen
hundred thirty-nine containing the speeches,
circumstances and doings of a recent benevolent
convention, at the chapel of the Marlboro House,
Boston, embelished with cuts and views of moral
machinery. by an eminent artist. Boston : Printed
by order of the Convention, 1839.

Tensas, Madison, See Lewis.

Thompson, W. T. Major Jones Courtship, Phila.,
Carey & Hart 1844 AND Major Jones
Sketches of Travel, Phila, Carey & Hart, 1848. same 1850.
.
AMERICAN FICTION WRIGHT II after 1850 through 1875]

Anon. Narrative of a Tour to & one Year's
Resident in "Edeensburgh" {Illinois}, by Major Walter Wilkey, an
honest yeoman of Moseboro, state of Maine. A more
humorsome and interesting "Traveller's guide
to the West,' was never before published, and by
which it will be perceived that the famous "Maine-
pine-swampy speculation," has been completely
outdone! E,bellished with appropriate cuts. by
Deming, Ebenezer. N.Y. Claiborne and others,
Publishers, 1838 and/or NY Sacket & Sargent,
1839.

Anon. Reveries of an old maid : embracing
important hints to young men, illustrative of the notable
arrangements of that celebrated establishment,
"Capsicum House" / embellished with forty-three
original engravings by eminently distinguished
artists. New York : Dewitt and Davenport, [1851],
or c1850. [4]-188 p. : ill. ; 18 cm. Notes:
Preface, dated 1851, signed: J.W.F. Title vignette.

[Byrn, M. L.] The life and Adventures of an
Arkansas Doctor, By David Rattlehead
Phila. 1851. II Wr. 440. The. NY 1860 II Wr. 441
Rattlehead's Chronicles NY 1852, II Wr. 442.
Rattleheads Travels. NY 1852, II Wr. 443

Criswell, R. Uncle Tom's Cabin Contrasted with Buckingham Hall. NY 1852

Doesticks Jr. Pseud. Something to Wear and Some
other Things. B'klyn 1857. Doesticks, Q. K. Philander,
The adventures of Snoozer, a sleepwalker, by
Philander Doesticks, esq. [pseud.] ... Illustrated by
Thos. Worth. [N.p.] J.L. Winchell [c1877].

Prentiss, Mrs. E. (Payson) Fred Maria and Me. NY 1868.

Rattlehead, Pseud, See Byrn.

Seaton, Walter A Man in Search of a Wife: Or the
Adventures of a Bachelor in New
York. NY Dewitt & Davenport. (1853)

[Small, G. G.] "Bricktop" Pseud. : Fred Douglas &
His Mule. NY 1873. Must have wrappers.Trip of the
Porgie NY 1874. The long and the short of it; or,
Three comical adventures of two comical men.
By Bricktop [pseud]    1874. Joining the militia,
or comic adventures of a recruit / by Bricktop
[pseud.] ; illus. by Thomas Worth. 1891 Bricktop.
Pickle and tickle; or, Mishaps and mischief. By
Bricktop [pseud.][New York, 187-?], Bricktop: Any
after 1875 by him or published by the firm of
Collin and Small. Bricktop. I have lots of his
work, but want more and better copies-like those in original wrappers.
A lot of his stuff consists of attacks  on
members of fraternal organizations, part time farmers, and almost any one else
except red headed men [he was a redhead].
Bricktop: Life of Hungry Joe,King of the Bunco Men. New York,
Frank Tousey [1880s?]. Bricktop: On a Jury.
Tousey 1881. Bricktop: My Birthday, Tousey [1883].
Bricktop: Troubles of Mr. & Mrs. Tumbleton. New York, F. Tousey, [1894].

Vose, J. D. : Fresh Leaves from the Diary of a Broadway Dandy. NY 1852; Seven
Nights in Gotham, NY 1852. AND Yale College Scrapes NY(1852)ANY
OTHERS.

NOT NOVELS:

American Citizen: New York, Folio Newspaper, one
folded sheet. Issues from 1805 though 1810 which have
Ads For Huggins, a barber. These are usually
topped by a two column cartoon of the author riding
a horse. They are often on the second page [verso of first page].

American Magazine of Wit NY 1808 or a cripple
with the folding Frontis. New-York : Printed by
H.C. Southwick, 1808. Description: 350 p. : ill.

Anon. Chips from Uncle Sam's jack-knife, or
Slices from the N.Y. Picayune. Dick & Fitzgerald  New York
[1860?]

Anon. The comic life of General Grant.: New York
: [s.n.], 1872. 16 p. : ill. ; 24 cm

Anon. Comic sketches of American life.
Philadelphia : John Weik, publisher and importer,
	 [between 1854 and 1857][12] leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 19 x 24 cm.
	 Notes: Cover title. Captions can be found in
either or both  English and German.

Anon. Pittoresque scenes of American life.  John
Weik, Pub. And Import. Philadelphia. OW same as above..

Anon. The Doleful Tragedy of the Raising of Jo.
Burnham or "the Cat Let Out of the Bag." In Five
Acts. Illustrated with Engravings. By Timothy
Tickle [B. F. Kendall] Woodstock, Vermont
William W. Prescott, 1832

Anon. Fun for the Camp. Ca. 1860-64. NY Oblong
4to Or a cripple with the first few or  final
pages, only. I seem to have most of this[in two
tries] but don't know how many pages there are.

Anon.  Laughing gas: an encyclopedia of wit
wisdom and wind. By Sam Slick jr. [pseud].
Illustrated with one hundred comic cuts and
upwards of 500 jokes etc. etc. by Avery Samuel
Putnam. Dick & Fitzgerald C.1854.

Anon. Missy Millefleur's Career. Sheldon & Co. NY 1869.

Anon. My friend Wriggles a (laughter) moving
panorama of his fortunes and misfortunes
illustrated. With over 200 engravings of most
comic catastrophes and side splitting
merriment. by Avery Samuel Putnam. Stearns & co. 1851?.48 Pages.