[Rarebooks] FS: G.Washington, Frauds & Tuxedos- in one 1887 book!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jan 30 08:18:15 EST 2006

 From our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Walter, James. MEMORIALS OF WASHINGTON AND OF MARY, HIS MOTHER, AND MARTHA,
HIS WIFE, FROM LETTERS AND PAPERS OF ROBERT CARY AND JAMES SHARPLES.

New York; Charles Scribner's Sons: 1887.

John Lovari, writing in Karpel, notes- "Apparently an interesting and
valuable account of Sharples's connection with the Washington family, with
comments on Robert Fulton and his friendship with Sharples and on the two
men as artists and scientists. Although this is a seemingly plausible and
valid description of the book after a first reading of it, the work, an
abridged version of which had appeared in 1886 under the title 'History and
Descriptive Details of Middleton's Portraits of Mary, the Mother of
Washington', ranks with Clifford Irving's recent 'biography' of Howard
Hughes as one of the major hoaxes of the publishing world. Walter was
attacked on twelve point of plagiarism, forgery, and fabrication of
evidence by the members of the Massachusetts Historical Society". [Karpel H721]

Well, now.

 From the library, with the small printed book ticket, of the noted
American book collector Grenville Kane, the bulk of whose Americana and
Incunabula collections are now at Princeton. In addition to being an
important book collector, Kane was also a founding member of the Tuxedo
Club, a group of wealthy New Yorkers who summered together at Tuxedo Park
in upstate New York; the group was responsible for introducing to American
Society the new-fangled semi-formal dinner jacket worn at a dinner by the
Prince of Wales, and naming it the... yes, that's right.

Hardcover. 6.5"x10", xii + 362 pages, plus 12 b/w plates; erratum slip;
publisher's green cloth with black decorations and Washington's coat of
arms stamped in gilt; slight wear, but overall a very nice, crisp, clean
copy.  [08601] $250.00

The covers->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images08/th-08601.jpg>

There are over 100 other newly catalogued books on ceramics, glass, silver,
art, and other related subjects on our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for January
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.