[Rarebooks] FS: The Greatest CFollection of Fakes Ever Assembled (1739)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jun 30 08:02:52 EDT 2006

Passeri, Fr. Giambattista.  LUCERNAE MUSEI PASSERII. Sumptibus Academiae
Pisaurensis.  Pisauri: 1739; 1743 & 1751.

Giambattista Passeri, S.J., Abbate of Pesaro, was an enthusiastic 18th
century collector of ancient Roman terra-cotta lamps, as well as a tireless
author, antiquary, and promoter of his native city.  Passeri eagerly bought
a wide variety of unusual specimens from peddlers and "excavators" who soon
learned to come to him first with anything really interesting, and
assembled perhaps one of the greatest collections of ancient lamps ever
made, with many unique and incredible examples. The gullible but
enthusiastic cleric dreamed of establishing a classification system for
ancient lamps based on his collection, and this dramatic three-volume
catalog was the cornerstone of his efforts, but unfortunately...

You see, the thing about terra-cotta is that it is very difficult to tell
an old piece from a new piece which has been made to look old, especially
if you are an overly credulous collector who thinks that he has stumbled
onto a wide variety of new and unique forms.

Scholars had always looked at the collection with some reserve, and by 1905
H.B. Walters, in his landmark study "History of Ancient Pottery.  Greek,
Etruscan and Roman", noted that "references to Passeri's work have been
avoided, as it has been shown by Dr. Dressel that nearly all those
published by him are false."

What we are left with, however, is one of the most elaborate catalogs of
fakes ever produced.

As Otto Kurz (Fakes -A Handbook for Collectors and Students) says-

      "the Passeri Collection was one of the
      greatest assemblages of fakes ever brought
      together: every single one of the more
      ambitious pieces is false."

This work is all the more interesting since most of the lamps were custom
made with the intention of selling them to this one collector, who for
decades constituted a market unto himself.

There is some sort of distinction in that.

3 volumes, 10.5"x15", 92 pages + 105 engraved plates; 73 pages + 104
engraved plates; 147 pages + 110 engraved plates; there are also some
engraved decorations in the text;  bound in old marbled boards with
parchment spines; some cover soil, but overall a nice set.  $2,250

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.