[Rarebooks] FS: Emblem Books, de Hooghe & Book Collectors,

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Mar 15 08:39:51 EST 2006

3 titles-

Barker, Nicolas. "BIBLIOTHECA LINDESIANA. The Lives and Collections of
Alexander William, 25th Earl of Crawford and 8th Earl of Balcarres, and
James Ludovic, 26th Earl of Crawford and 9th Earl of Balcarres" London;
Printed for presentation to the Roxburghe Club, and published by Bernard
Quaritch: 1978. 'Reprinted, with corrections'. "Alexander, 25th Earl of
Crawford (1812-80) called Lord Lindsay for most of his life, was fascinated
by books and the window that they opened on new ideas, foreign lands and
languages, and, above all, the past. He began to collect books before he
was ten, and continued to do so for the rest of his life". Unlike his
contemporary, Sir Thomas Phillipps, Lindsay did not aim to acquire a copy
of every book ever printed, but aimed at creating the perfect library of
literature, scholarship and learning. His son followed in his footsteps,
and by the 1880s the library had achieved legendary proportions. This
detailed, scholarly and entertaining book chronicles the foundations of the
library, and the lives and collecting of its two chief architects.
Hardcover. 7.5"x11", 415 pages, b/w illustrations; light wear. $125.00

- - - - -

Landwehr, John. "ROMEYN DE HOOGHE (1645-1708) AS BOOK LLUSTRATTOR. A
BIBLIOGRAPHY" Amsterdam / New York; Vangendt & Co. / Abner Schram: 1970.
"Though the historical prints and topographical views by Romeyn de Hooghe
have been known and admired up to the present day, the present book is the
first descriptive bibliography of the famous engraver. The knowledge on
both de Hooghe's life and his work appears to be confused and often
inaccurate. Students of history know about the pamphlets written by him,
and about the lawsuit against de Hooghe when he was charged with the
production and publishing of allegedly obscene prints...The present
bibliography describes over 100 titles containing ca.2800 etchings by De
Hooghe. It seems that his main activity must have been in the field of book
illustration, rather than in the production of independent prints. The data
on this unexpected multitude of illustrations have been collected during
some 20 years". Hardcover. 7.5"x10.5", 247 pages, b/w illustrations, dj;
near fine. $150.00

- - - - -

McGeary, Thomas & N. Frederick Nash. "EMBLEM BOOKS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF
ILLINOIS. A BIBLIOGRAPHICAL CATALOG" Boston; G.K. Hall: 1993. "Lists emblem
books and related items in the Rare Book and Special Collections Library at
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Part One of the catalogue
lists 601 original editions of emblem books and related items published in
1800 or earlier. Part Two is a checklist of 408 emblem books in reprint,
facsimile, or microform edition."  Hardcover. 8.5"x11.5", 363 pages, near
fine. $150.00

- - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.