[Rarebooks] fs: More Better Books on Ceramics

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Mar 15 09:46:42 EST 2006

we know you've been waiting, and now it's finally here...

->   It's ~ CERAMICS WEEK ~ at JOSLIN HALL <-

          (please keep dogs leashed at all times;
     umbrellas and bags must be checked at the door)

-Our newest printed catalog -"Books on Ceramics" is now available.
If you would like a copy please let us know.

-We will be featuring ceramics-related material on our blog this week-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>
today's blog is about the 1870s artist who collected pottery back when
pottery wasn't cool...

and now for today's books, from our new catalog-

Hayden, Arthur. ROYAL COPENHAGEN PORCELAIN. ITS HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT
FROM THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY TO THE PRESENT DAY. London; T. Fisher Unwin:
1911. A massive, well illustrated survey of Royal Copenhagen and its works
over the last two hundred years, including the Fournier Period of
soft-paste [1760-1766]; the Muller Period of hard-paste [1773-1810]; the
"Decadent Period" [the 19th century well, this was written in 1911, when
nothing good was admitted to have happened in the 19th century] and the
"Modern Renaissance". The illustrations drew on the royal collections of
England, Germany, Russia,
Denmark and Greece, and also the private collections of Morgan, Franks and
others. Certainly the ultimate Royal Copenhagen book, and elegantly set up
and designed to boot -a real pleasure. Not to be confused with the much
smaller "Chats on" book also by Hayden.  Hardcover. 9"x11.5", 452 pages, 5
color and 137 b/w illustrations; original grey and cream cloth with gilt
titles and an impressed Royal Copenhagen crown. Light cover soil, and wear,
hinges ever so lightly shaken; former owner's large but not unpleasing ink
inscription of presentation on the endpaper (ca.1911).  [08705]  $300.00

  - - - - - - -

Knight, H.H. and Egbert Moxham. SPECIMENS OF INLAID TILES HERALDIC AND
GEOMETRICAL FROM NEATH ABBEY, GLAMORGANSHIRE. Edinburgh; Committee of the
Neath Philosophical Institution: nd (Solon says 1850, and this seems about
right).

These beautiful and striking Medieval pavements were discovered in 1848,
and included tiles emblazoned with the arms of noble families of
Glamorganshire. A Norman, Richard de Granville, established Neath Abbey in
1130 and it became a Cistercian Abbey in 1147, gradually growing in size
and wealth, with estates in Devon, Glamorgan and Somerset. Tudor historian
John Leland called it "The fairest Abbey in all Wales" just before it was
dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539. A few years later it came into the
possession of Sir Richard Williams, who, with his son, converted it into a
grand estate.

Later there was a copper smelting works on the property, but the Victorian
era and 20th century saw a gradual restoration of the ruins, and the
uncovering of the Medieval tiles. The text of this study was written by
Rev. Knight, rector of Neath, who identifies many of the families whose
arms are represented. The beautiful red and yellow plates are interesting
early examples of Scottish chromolithography, and were reproduced from
drawings by Moxham, an architect. This was evidently the Earl of Jersey's
copy, his name appearing in pencil on the pastedown; he is also listed as a
subscriber.

Hardcover. 22"x15", with a beautiful and elaborate lithographed scenic
title page, dedication page, list of subscribers, and 27 pages of text plus
8 plates, the first a tinted view of the Abbey, the second a floor plan
with inset details, plates 3-7 beautiful chromolithographed plates of the
tiles themselves, in red and yellow tones, the last plate another tinted
plate of the Abby by moonlight. Bound in at the back is a lithographed
Prospectus for the limited 2nd edition of a history of the Charters of the
Abbey. Original cloth, covers with light rubbing and wear, corners bumped;
light scattered internal foxing, a few small wormholes near the margins,
but overall a nice copy. [08708]  $850.00

- - - - - - - - -

Koyama, Fujio (ed.). CHINESE CERAMICS. ONE HUNDRED SELECTED MASTERPIECES
FROM COLLECTIONS IN JAPAN, ENGLAND, FRANCE AND AMERICA. Tokyo; The Nihon
Keizai: 1960.  The elegant catalog to this important exhibition held at the
Takashimaya Department Store in Tokyo under the auspices of the Nihon
Keizai Shimbun, which drew examples from public and private collections
around the world. Among the supporters of the exhibition were Sir Harry
Garner, Eugene Bernat, Edward T. Chow, and Sir Percival David. Japanese
text with an English introduction and English plate captions. Hardcover.
10.5"x12.5", v + 62 pages, with b/w illustrations, plus 112 plates,
including 32 tipped-in color plates; slipcased. Gold cloth covers with
light soil, else a fine copy in a very nice slipcase.  [06389]  $125.00

- - - - - - - - -

Tomorrow- *More* More Better Books...

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.