[Rarebooks] FS: Cinema History: Thomas Dixon's THE SOUTHERNER Inscribed to D. W. Griffith, director of THE BIRTH OF A NATION

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Mar 16 11:31:49 EST 2006

DIXON, Thomas THE SOUTHERNER. A ROMANCE OF THE REAL LINCOLN
D. Appleton and Company New York 1913. First Edition. Publisher's red cloth
stamped in blind and white. Illustrated by J. N. Marchand. In a prefatory note
to this historical novel about Abraham Lincoln, the author states that "every
word in relating to the issues of our national life has been drawn from
authentic records in my possession. Nor have I at any point taken a liberty with
an essential detail in historical scenes." Perhaps not as many liberties as he
took with his earlier book THE CLANSMEN (1905), an inflammatory glorification of
the KuKlux Klan that served as the basis for director D. W. Griffith's THE BIRTH
OF A NATION (1915). This film, controversial even in its day for its depiction
of African Americans, was a landmark film in cinematic history containing many
innovations and artistic advancements, including a color sequence at the end. It
was the most profitable film for over two decades, until Disney's SNOW WHITE AND
THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937), and even today is considered one of the top films of
all time. Which brings us back to this book, which happens to come from D. W.
Griffith's library and is INSCRIBED and SIGNED to him by the author on a special
bookplate on the front endpaper with the imprint "Author's Autograph Copy to":
"D. W. Griffith with the best wishes of the author---- Sincerely Thomas Dixon."
Spine is frayed at the tips and sunned, though the lettering is still readable.
Good, solid copy with an incredible association.   $2000
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent