[Rarebooks] FA: 1863 American Northwest Travels & Panama

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon May 1 10:12:49 EDT 2006

offered on a major internet auction this week, an 1863 travelogue amongst
the northwestern US woods and streams, & Panama.

Offered without reserve, because every time you use a reserve a baby rabbit
cries.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

"THE CANOE AND THE SADDLE, ADVENTURES AMONG THE NORTHWESTERN RIVERS AND
FORESTS AND ISTHMIANA"

     By Theodore Winthrop. Published by Ticknor and Fields in 1863.

"The Canoe and the Saddle, Adventures Among the Northwestern Rivers and
Forests" is the author's recounting of a trip made in 1853 to the
territories of Washington and Oregon, including the Tacoma area, Puget
Sound, the Atinam River, the Columbia River, and the Cascades. He spent
much of his time traveling among the Native Americans of the region, whom
he describes in great detail, including passages in the Chinook language
written phonetically, as conversation. Also included is a four page
"partial vocabulary of the Chinook Jargon" prefaced with the sentence "All
words in Chinook are very much aspirated, gutturalized, sputtered, and
swallowed". Other Indian tribes discussed include the Klamans,
Squaksnamish, Kallapoogas, Klickatats, Yakinaks.

     "The adventure chronicled in these pages happened some years ago, but
the story of a civilized man's solitary onslaught at barbarism cannot lose
its interest. A drama with Indian actors, in Indian costume, upon an Indian
stage, is historical, whether it happened two hundred years since in the
northeast, or five years since in the north west corner of our country."

Civilized indeed. Descended from the distinguished puritan Governor John
Winthrop on his father's side and from Jonathan Edwards on his mother's
side, educated at Yale, Theodore Winthrop was nothing if not civilized. A
confirmed intellectual and a terrifically entertaining writer, he managed
to pack a lot of living into his short 33 years, including careers as a
lawyer, novelist and professional traveler. He enlisted in the Federal Army
in 1861, and was killed in the Battle of Great Bethel.

Winthrop was an imaginative and urbane writer offering his opinions freely:

     "Indian maids are pretty, Indian dames are hags. Only high
civilization keeps its women beautiful to the last. Indian belles have some
delights of toilette worthy of consideration by their blonde
sisterhood...", Winthrop then apparently took some opium and continued- "O
mistaken harridans of Christendom, so bountifully painted and powdered, did
ye but know how much better than your diffusiveness of daub is the
concentrated brilliance of vermilion stripes parting at the nose-bridge and
streaming athwart the cheeks! Knew ye but this, at once ye would reform
from your undeluding shams, and recover the forgotten charms of
acknowledged pinxit".

The last seventy-two pages of the book are devoted to "Isthmiana", a sketch
found among the author's papers after his death. This piece describes, in
great detail, Wintrhop's trip across the Isthmus of Panama as he headed
home. The first chapter has a wonderfully amusing description of the
typical party of Americans making their way to Panama:

     "There are brave deeds in unwritten history. We make a hero of Putnam
cantering down the church steps at Horseneck to escape a leaden shower; but
till now no chronicler has sung the praises of our party, mule-galloping
down the dislocated pavement of a Cruces Road hillside, vainly seeking
shelter from the peltings of tropical rain-pellets. Down the hill, and
something else is down; for lady No. 2 is over head and ears of her mule,
while lady No. 1 who is in advance, ascending, has preferred to dismount at
the other end of the animal. Meanwhile the mule of gentleman No.2 has put
the wrong foot foremost in entering a narrow callejon, and, trying to right
himself, has gone down like a Polkist on a parquet, carrying his partner
with him."

Unlike his imaginary party of ladies and gentlemen who care only to get
from one side of the isthmus to the other as quickly as possible, Winthrop
relishes the jungle, the wildlife and the native peoples, all which he
describes in wonderfully evocative prose.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.