[Rarebooks] FS: Some items by Freud, including his handwritten announcement of his mother's death

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu May 4 08:21:04 EDT 2006

Sigmund Freud, born May 6, 1856

FREUD,  Sigmund.  FREUD'S  HANDWRITTEN ANNOUNCEMENT  OF  HIS  MOTHER'S
DEATH:  AUTOGRAPH  MANUSCRIPT SIGNED (AMS). A one-page  manuscript  in
German  in  ink  with  several pencil corrections and  some  notes  in
pencil  at  the bottom. Freud writes an announcement of  his  mother's
death.   The  translation:  "Our   beloved  Mother/Amalia   Freud/died
September   12  1930  in  her   96th/year  and  was  buried  on----/in
Vienna./We  thank  all friends/for their silent sympathy." Freud  then
lists  the names of the immediate relatives below, writing "freud"  in
his  typical style with a small "f" four more times making a total  of
five  Freud SIGNATURES on this one sheet of paper. "Sigmund and Martha
Freud/Anna  Bernays (New York)/Rosa Graf/Marie Freud (Berlin)/Adolfine
Freud/Paula  Winternitz/Alexander  and Sophie Freud/Grandchildren  and
Greatgrandchildren/  Vienna,  September 1930." Freud had a  deep  love
for  his  mother, a woman with a fine sense of humor,  throughout  his
life,  seeing  her  weekly  up  until her  death.  In  Ernest  Jones's
monumental  THE  LIFE  AND WORKS OF SIGMUND FREUD, he  attributes  the
origin  of Freud's highest quality and most precious g-ft--his ability
to  courageously  face  the unknown--to "a supreme confidence  in  his
mother's  love" (Vol. 2, p. 433). Jones also notes Freud's reaction to
the  death  of  his mother: "'This great event has  affected  me  in a
curious  manner.  No  pain,  no  grief....  With  that  a  feeling  of
liberation,  of  release,  which I think I can understand. I  was  not
allowed  to die as long as she was alive, and now I may'" (Vol. 3, pp.
152-153).  Usual  creases. Fine condition for this  absolutely  superb
piece!                                                      $15,000.00

FREUD,  Sigmund.  BEYOND  THE  PLEASURE PRINCIPLE.  London  &  Vienna:
Inter.  Psycho-Analytical Pr 1922. First Edition. 90 [2] pp. The First
Authorized  English  Translation  from the Second  German  Edition  by
C.J.M.  Hubback revised by Ernest Jones. Some browning of cheap  paper
but still a Fine copy.                                         $150.00

FREUD,    Sigmund.   DIE  ZUKUNFT   EINER  ILLUSION.   Leipzig:   Int.
Psychoanalytischer  1928. Second Edition. SIGNED "Sigm. freud" on  the
front    free   endpaper.  Freud,   the  father   of   psychoanalysis,
revolutionized  our  view  of  human nature with  his  development  of
concepts  such  as  the  ego,  id, and  superego  and  the  theory  of
infantile  sexuality  and libidinal development. In this  book,  first
published  in  English in the same year as THE FUTURE OF AN  ILLUSION,
Freud  applied  his  controversial ideas to  religious  belief.  Books
signed  by  Sigmund Freud, one of the most important cultural  figures
of  the twentieth century, are notably scarce on the market. Laid into
this  copy  is  a typed letter in German from a Dr. R.  Luzzatto  from
Wien  apparently presenting the book to an associate. Yellow cloth  is
moderately  soiled with the blue lettering on the spine largely rubbed
away. Very Good                                               $8500.00

FREUD,  Sigmund. THE PSYCHOANALYTIC QUARTERLY. Volume I, #1 & 2, April
&  July  1932. New York: Freud has three contributions including  "The
Acquisition  of  Fire."  A.A. Brill is among the  other  contributors.
Covers of first number worn and chipped otherwise Very Good.    $75.00

We also have, not yet catalogued, a copy of Freud's UBER SPINALGANGLIEN UND
RUCKENMARK DES PETROMYZON, 1878, an early publication when Freud's
concentrations were in the field of neurology.  Please inquire if interested.
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent