[Rarebooks] fs: Burney's Buccaneers of America, 1816

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Fri May 12 14:31:14 EDT 2006

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 7944 )  Burney, James (1750-1821). HISTORY OF THE BUCCANEERS OF
AMERICA.
London: Payne and Foss, 1816. First separate edition, 3/4 leather, Quarto,
xii, 326 pages, 3 engraved maps (2 folding). .
      An exciting and accurate account of 17th century buccaneering around
the Americas, written by an experienced seaman. Captain Burney had
accompanied Captain James Cook on his second and third voyages in the
Pacific. The present work covers the period between about 1630 and 1697, and
Burney shows that these pirates were as adept at seamanship and navigation
as they were at terrorizing ships and Caribbean ports. The first separate
edition. SABIN #9388. Illustrated with three maps, two of which are folding.
Bound in 3/4 leather over marbled boards with marbled endpapers,
yellow-stained textblock edges. Some light, scattered foxing, some overall
soil to a couple of pages at rear. Maps are in excellent condition, free of
tears. This copy has been expertly repaired, with both boards reattached,
new leather spine with original spine label laid back down, and new silk
ribbon bookmark. A handsome copy.    $2250.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7944.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $4.00 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. Shipping charges for other carriers or international delivery quoted
individually upon inquiry. Payment accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex,
Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php