[Rarebooks] For Sale: Gardner's "Chiefly the Orient," inscribed

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Fri May 12 18:35:49 EDT 2006

GARDNER, GEORGE PEABODY, JR.  CHIEFLY THE ORIENT. AN UNDIGESTED
JOURNAL . . . 27 JULY, 1910 - 10 JUNE, 1911.  Privately Printed [at
the Plimpton Press, Norwood, Mass.], Christmas,
1912.  First        (& only) edition.  Large octavo, original
gilt-stamped cloth, pictorial onlay, top edge gilt, slightly rubbed,
x, 378 pages.  Frontispiece. Profusely illustrated.
SIGNED INSCRIPTION: "To Edward Bowditch as a reminder of our pleasant
stay in the P[hilippine] I[slands.] Dec. 21st 1912. G. Peabody Gardner Jr."
(Bowditch was Secy. to the Governor General & Secy. & Vice Governor
of Moro Province 1907-1914, & was personal Aide-de-Camp to General
Pershing during WW I.)  (A post-graduation junket by several Harvard
men.  Russia, Japan, China, the Philippines, India, Egypt, Java,
Turkey, Greece, &c.) Printed circular, "Industrial & Sales Exhibition
at the Philippine Carnival 1913," laid in.
$90.00

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA)
1525 Shenkel Road, Pottstown, Pa, USA, 19465-7221.
Telephone: 610 323 5289 or 919 967 9287
Email: nkane at kanebooks.com
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
Trade Discount 10 %