[Rarebooks] FS: 1899 Study of Antique American Silver work

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Nov 15 13:41:13 EST 2006

>From our brand new
BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

Elwell, N[ewton] W. "COLONIAL SILVERWARE OF THE 17th and 18th CENTURIES.
Comprising Solid Sets, Small Wares, Candelabras, Communion Service, etc."

Boston; Geo. H. Polley & Co.: 1899.

One of the earliest studies of American silver, and probably the earliest
study to publish photos of American silver. Preceded by Buck, but then
Buck was not wholly devoted to American silver. Of course, to be honest,
this is not wholly devoted to American silver either, with English
examples creeping in here and there. If we are going in this direction,
it's not all 17th and 18th century either, but the intent at least was
there.

The plates mainly illustrate multiple pieces, identified by where they
were photographed, such as "elaborate silver ware from Baltimore,
Maryland", "Odd Silver Sugar Bowls, for Lump Sugar, from Maryland", and so
on. Localities are much more likely, therefore, to relate to where the
silver was at the time the photos were taken (mainly in private homes)
rather than where it was made. There are some pieces with histories
-silver known to have been owned by a certain person, several identified
sets of church plate, etc.

In 1896 Elwell had published a study of Colonial American furniture, and
in 1897 he produced a companion volume of furniture and interiors of
Colonial Maryland and Virginia, both of which used the same format as this
book. All three books are scarce.

Hardcover. 13"x17.5", 1 page of photo listings plus 74 b/w illustrations
on 40 loose plates; bound in old cloth with a cloth spine and tips,
remnants of spine labels; some cover wear and soil; very nice internally.
[09424] $875.00

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "FALL" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_287.htm>

--> See our new "GRAVE AFFAIR" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.