[Rarebooks] FS: 18th C. Japanese Horsemanship

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Tue Nov 21 16:43:52 EST 2006

TSUNEHARU, KOBORI CHOJUN .  SUIBA SENKIN HEN (HORSEMANSHIP
UNDERWATER). Edo., 1759. Illustrated by one double-page full color
plate and three with a bit of color. Most plates show equipment but 3
depict the warriors and their battles in the river on horseback.
Paper boards on native paper. Near fine. In around 1700 the founder
of Kobori ryu Tosuijutsu, Muraoka Idayu Masafumi, founded his own
tradition at the Tenjin Gulf on the Shirakawa. He was succeeded as
teaching master at the Tenjin Gulf by his son Kobori Chojun
Tsuneharu.. This volume is the oldest treatise on horsemanship
underwater in the Japanese language. This system of natation was
practiced as part of the martial training of the clan's warriors at
their purpose built educational facility, the Jishukan, right up
until the Meiji Restoration in 1758 with a text on the handling of
horses entitled Suiba Senkin Hen. Very rare. $1600.00

<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSTS73117.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSTS73117a.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSTS73117b.jpg>

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

http://www.oldbooks.com

7 day return with notice, if not as described. 5 day hold. We accept
Paypal, money orders, cashier checks. We accept personal checks from
bookdealers and known customers.