[Rarebooks] A decorative Kelmscott Press trial leaf

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Tue Nov 21 18:43:15 EST 2006

KELMSCOTT PRESS.

Specimen Leaf from the Kelmscott Press edition of  "LOVE IS ENOUGH, OR THE
FREEING OF PHARAMOND:
A MORALITY, by William Morris. Hammersmith: Kelmscott Press. 1897. Large
Quarto, 29 x 21.5 cm. One leaf,
printed both sides in red and black using the Troy Type on Perch Paper.
Large side border of entwined flowers
designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, large 8-line inital letter. This
appears to be the first leaf of the text. Mounted in a
paper folder (affixed with two small pieces of acid-free conservator's tape
on the left margin) with two small notes in
pencil on the front mat in  an old hand "Specimen Leaf  #78" and "A leaf
from the edition of "Love is Enough" printed
at the Kelmscott Press, 1898". I was once told that it is Sydney
Cockerell's handwriting, but I'm not so sure. Light
browning to the leaf itself and some more pronounced browning and a few
small stains to the mat board, a very nice
example, likely unique. See Peterson A52, etc.

Images:

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/loveisenough01.jpg

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/loveisenough02.jpg

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/loveisenough03.jpg

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/loveisenough04.jpg

$375 USD

---
Michael John Thompson
Member, Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada
5275 Jerow Road
Hornby Island, BC
Canada V0R 1Z0
250-335-1182

http://www.ThompsonRareBooks.com
http://www.mjtbooks.com
http://www.BeltaneBooks.com (forthcoming)

Stay calm: be brave: wait for the signs.