[Rarebooks] FS: Get that Child into a Corset!! (1864)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Nov 29 07:59:13 EST 2006

>From our new DECEMBER catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_290.htm>

Caplin, Madame Roxey A[nne]. "HEALTH AND BEAUTY: or, Woman and Her
Clothing, considered in relation to The Physiological Laws of the Human
Body"

London; Kent and Co.: 1864. 3rd ed.

Madame Caplin was a famous Victorian-era corset maker, the inventor of the
so-called “hygienic corset”. This book, first published in 1856, agrees
with the critics of the corset that some makers have taken the garment too
far, made it too confining, and that such garments pose a danger to
health. She argues, however, that a properly made corset supports the
spine and breasts and shapes the body in such a way as to be beneficial to
the wearer. She provides chapters outlining how this works for infants
(for whom she has invented an “Umbilical Contracting Belt”), children,
teenagers, pregnant women, middle-aged women, older women, and those with
spinal deformities. In each case, after describing what the body needs and
how current, badly-designed corsets or other fashions can harm it, she
explains her own designs and how they help.

An appendix includes a number of press notices, going back to the 1840s,
which praise her work. All editions of this book are uncommon today- OCLC
locates just 3 examples of this edition.

Hardcover. 5.5”x8.5”, xvi + 204 pages with line illustrations, plus 5 b/w
plates; decorative initial letters. Bound in publisher’s green textured
cloth with gilt Greek-key border and titles; a little soil and wear, but
overall an exceptionally nice, clean, tight, bright copy. [09693] $400.00

_____________________________

See our entire DECEMBER catalog, 220 entries, at-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_290.htm>
_____________________________

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.