[Rarebooks] FS - Nicene Fathers, 31 vols, incl. postage

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Mon Oct 9 15:03:09 EDT 2006

*Schaff, Philip and Henry Wace (eds.), /A SELECT LIBRARY OF THE NICENE
AND POST-NICENE FATHERS OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH/ /First and Second
Series /[together with] Roberts, Rev. Alexander and James Donaldson
(eds.),  /THE ANTE-NICENE FATHERS/, *all published by Wm. B. Eerdmans
Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, MI.

The complete set should contain 38 volumes (14, 14, and 10). This
offering contains 31 hard cover volumes, lacking volumes I and II of the
Second ("blue") series of The Nicene and Post-Nice Fathers; and volumes
IV to VIII of The Ante-Nicene Fathers ("red" series). The First Series
("green") of  The Nicene and Post-Nice Fathers is complete in 14
volumes. There are many individual volumes for sale on-line, so it
should be neither either hard, nor expensive, to fill in the missing
volumes.

Each volume is uniformly bound in grey cloth with a coloured block on
the spine for the title of the series (blue, green, or red). All volumes
were published in the 1980s and contain anywhere from 400 to 800 pages
with introductions, notes, scripture references, and indices to key
people, places and theological issues. It is one of the most
comprehensive collections of religious thought and argument and covers
the first 800 years of the church.

The books we are offering were stored for many years, and two volumes
were compressed, resulting in bowed boards (volume IV of the "blue"
series and volume I of the "red" series). A few other volumes have
flattened spines. Volumes I and II of the "red" series volumes have a
small stain to the lower margin - not affecting text. None of the
volumes appear to have any internal markings and, except as noted, the
31 volumes are in very good condition throughout.

This is a heavy set, the 31 volumes probably weighing in excess of 60
lbs. However, it is not an item of interest to us and, having been
obliged to acquire it, in connection with more desirable titles, we are
anxious to sell it to a collector, dealer, or institution who will
appreciate it. Consequently, we offer it to members of this list at a
remarkable saving:

Price: $400

Terms of sale - the price is net in US funds AND INCLUDES ALL POSTAGE,
PACKING, AND INSURANCE CHARGES sent anywhere in North America. Payment
by check, or credit card. Not returnable unless there is a significant
discrepancy in our description of this set, and only with prior notice,
and within seven days of receipt.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB R3M 0E3 Canada
Toll-free: 866-263-BOOK (2665)
Telephone: 204-488-2023
Web site: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com
*Secure credit card payment service available*