[Rarebooks] early (very) Flaubert manuscript

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Thu Oct 12 14:13:46 EDT 2006

Flaubert (Gustave)  LOYS XI.  Drame.  [Rouen?]: February-March,
1838.  Autograph manuscript, signed twice. Apparently one of only
four complete Flaubert manuscripts remaining in private hands.

         Folio, 162pp on 88 leaves numbered 1-86 [i.e. 87] plus two
preliminary leaves; many corrections, deletions and emendations
throughout, revealing the workings of the young writer's mind.  3/4
brown levant, marbled boards, by Canape et Corriez, gilt lettering on
spine. Some scratches on the rear cover, but nice,
throughout.  Bookplate of Docteur Lucien-Graux.

         One of the earliest works of Flaubert's youth, written just
two months after his sixteenth birthday.  "When I was ten years old,"
Flaubert reports, "I was already dreaming of glory, and I composed
from the time I knew how to write" - Cahier intime,
1840-1841.  "Louis XI is a play indisputably superior to the
historical writings that Flaubert had written two years earlier in
the style of Dumas.  Serious and extensive documentation furnished
his ever fertile imagination with material, while with his passionate
intelligence he acquired a sense of history" - Guy Sagnes - Notice,
Flaubert /  OEUVRES DE JEUNESSE, La Pleiade, p. 1310.  "In 1831 he
wrote his first historical piece, LOUIS XIII. From then on he
dedicated himself to the genre until 1838 when he wrote LOUIS XI" -
Claudine Gohot-Mersch.

         First published in 1910 by Louis Conrad in the OEUVRES DE
JEUNESSE INEDITES; it is the text of Conrad that La Pleiade offers in
its most recent edition. Conceived, written and polished over an
intense period of fifteen days, it is palpable testimony to the
burgeoning talent of one of Frances greatest writers. $175,000.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702