[Rarebooks] FS: 17th Century TREASON!!!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Oct 12 19:11:38 EDT 2006

Rossen, Thomas, Bishop of Rochester.  "A Relation of the Late Wicked
Contrivance of Stephen Blackhead and Robert Young, against the Lives of
several Persons, by Forging an Association under their Hands, Written by
the Bishop of Rochester.  In Two Parts: The First Part being a Relation of
what passed at the Three Examinations of the said Bishop by a Committee of
Lords of the Privy-Council.  The Second being an Account of the Two
above-mentioned Authors of the Forgery"

Savoy; Printed by Edward Jones: 1692.

A strange and twisted tale involving the Bishop of Rochester (who had
already been in trouble with the government) and accusations, based on
forged letters, that he was involved in a plot to install King James of
Scotland onto the English throne. An interesting tale of politics and
forgery by one who had more than a passing interest in it.

Hardcover. 6.5"x8", 164 pages; bond in full period leather with raised
spine bands, gilt spine medallions and a gilt-label; the covers are
blind-ruled and decorated with a pleasing sponge-patterned design.  Light
cover wear, spine head slightly chipped; internally there is some toning
and soil, heavy in places. $500.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-28499.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.