[Rarebooks] FS: Newly Added- Important 1846 on Fresco Painting

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Sep 22 07:57:00 EDT 2006

>From our newly released catalog-
RECENT ACQUISITIONS FOR SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

Merrifield, [Mary Philadelphia]. THE ART OF FRESCO PAINTING, as practiced
by the Old Italian and Spanish Masters, with a Preliminary Inquiry into
the nature of the Colours Used in Fresco Painting, with observations and
notes.

London; ‘published for the author by Charles Gilpin’: 1846.

An influential and important study, commissioned by the British
government, which translated and analyzed instructional texts on the
painting of frescos from Antiquity to the 17th century, with an eye toward
the promotion of an English school of fresco painters. A year earlier Mrs.
Merrifield had completed her famous translation of Cennino Cennini’s
“Libro dell’ arte”, and as important as her works were from a practical
standpoint for the 19th century artist, among whom she was especially
influential with the Pre-Raphaelites, “the main importance of her work
lies in her development of the historical study of documents” (Ernstrom,
Grove Dictionary of Art). Historical documents are all well and good, but
Mrs. Merrifield was aiming higher-

        “I firmly believe,” she wrote in her Introduction, “that fresco
painting will be extensively and successfully practiced in this
country, by our own native artists, and will ultimately attain a
perfection, equal to that for which the Italian schools were so
justly celebrated”.

    Hardcover. 6”x9”, lvi + 134 pages; publisher’s brown cloth with
blindstamped patterns, gilt spine title; an exceptionally fresh and
nice copy. [09463] $300.00

To see more Recent Acquisitions go to->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.