[Rarebooks] FA: DEATH!!! -1869 - Confederate Cemetery in Richmond

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Sep 29 18:00:31 EDT 2006

We are busily at work preparing a new edition of
A GRAVE AFFAIR -Books about mourning, gravestones,
cemeteries and funeral customs, which will be released
Halloween Weekend. [if you'd like a copy, let us know]

In the meantime, we have an auction running for
Civil War Cemetery enthusiasts-

"REGISTER OF THE CONFEDERATE DEAD INTERRED
AT HOLLYWOOD CEMETERY, RICHMOND, VA"

Printed in Richmond by Gary, Clemmitt & Jones in 1869.

A moving book, which lists a substantial portion of the 18,000 Confederate
soldiers and sailors interred at the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond,
Virginia by the Hollywood Memorial Association, a group of Confederate
widows and veterans. It includes a folding map, a 1-page history of the
work of the Association, the Association’s Constitution, a list of its
officers, and then 100 pages are an alphabetical list of the Confederate
dead, showing their Company, Regiment, State, their date of death, and the
section they are buried in.

The Hollywood Memorial Association was only a few years old when this book
was published, having been formed on May 3rd, 1866. The title page
illustrates the 90-foot tall “Granite Pile”, which was still being built
when this book went to press and is described as “clad with vines and
roses”, which it is not today.

THE CEMETERY: Hollywood Cemetery, in Richmond Virginia, was founded in
1848, and was named for the groves of holly trees on the grounds. A
traditional Victorian garden cemetery, it is the final resting place of
many famous people including Presidents James Monroe and John Tyler. After
the Civil War a portion of the cemetery was set aside for Confederate
dead, and over 18,000 of them were eventually buried there, including
J.E.B. Stuart and Jefferson Davis (though neither was buried there at the
time our book was published).

The great granite monument to the Confederate dead, 90 feet tall, was
designed by Charles Dimmock. The $18,000 to build it was raised during a
special two-week fundraising bazaar staged in 1867.

See more details, pictures, and info on all our auctions at-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Ebay-Auctions.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our