[Rarebooks] FS - Maritime history in nice binding

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Mon Apr 30 17:15:10 EDT 2007

*[THE MARINE HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION]. /PUBLICATION OF THE MARINE
HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION / VOLUME I, Nos. 1-12 to Volume II, No. 2 plus
Appendix/.* Two matching volumes, beautifully bound in 3/4 dark blue
leather over matching woven blue cloth. Published by The Marine
Historical Association of Mystic, CT. 1930 to 1941. 1st edition. Small
4to, pp. 258, 121. 63. Top edges of boards of volume I are lightly
spotted. Board edges of both volumes very lightly rubbed; else clean,
tight and each in very good condition. There are no former owner's markings.

The Marine Historical Association was established as a maritime museum
in 1929. It is now known as "Mystic Seaport". It is situated along the
banks of the Mystic River in Mystic, Connecticut, and is notable both
for its collection of sailing ships and boats, and for the re-creation
of an entire 19th century seaport, as well as its occasional
publications of learned articles. Volume I, number 1, of its journal was
published on December 15, 1930 and consisted of one eight-page article
entitled "Important Types of Merchant Sailing Craft", by Carl C. Cutler
(with illustrations by S. Jerome Hoxie and Y. E. Soderberg). Thereafter,
at irregular intervals of from three to six months, the Museum published
additional numbers, of from eight to 80 pages, each of which consisted
of a major original illustrated article on some aspect of nautical
history, merchant shipping, or naval architecture. Topics included
ships' logs, accounts of voyages, a survey of the early shipping
industry in the northern U.S., the development of the builder's
half-hull model in the U.S., the development of whaling implements, New
London whaling captains, shipbuilding, and several biographies of
sailing captains. The 63 page appendix is entitled "The Log of the Bon
Homme Richard", with an introduction by Louis F. Middlebrook. It was
published in 1936 in a limited edition of 300 copies. Our copy is an
out-of-sequence copy and is bound-in at the end of volume II. Individual
numbers of this publication may be had, but a complete run of the first
14 numbers is rather scarce, and especially desirable in such a nice
presentation binding.

Price:  $375.00.

Terms of sale - the price is in USD, and the set is offered subject to
prior sale. Payment by check or credit card. Postage and packing charge
is $10. Returnable within seven days of receipt if not as described

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB R3M 0E3 Canada
Toll-free: 866-263-BOOK (2665)
Telephone: 204-488-2023
Web site: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com
*Secure credit card payment service available*