[Rarebooks] FS: Brown's BOOK OF BUTTERFLIES, 1832, with 96 hand-colored plates

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Aug 16 15:16:57 EDT 2007

BROWN, Capt. Thomas. THE BOOK OF BUTTERFLIES, SPHINXES AND  MOTHS.
London: Whittaker Treacher 1832. Complete per title page with 96 hand-
colored  engravings  in two duodecimo (3-5/8" x 6-1/8") volumes  bound
in  original  boards, though copies in three volumes with  144  plates
exist,  the  third  volume  published  a  few  years  later.  Part  of
Constable's   Miscellany  series.  The   plates,  though  small,   are
attractive  with, for the most part, one specimen per plate. Backstrip
lacking  from one volume and text block loose in covers on the  other.
Armorial  bookplates.  Plates  and  text  bright  and  fresh;  binding
defects noted.                                                 $500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent