[Rarebooks] FS: John Quincy Adams's ORATION ON THE LIFE OF LAFAYETTE, Inscribed

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Dec 3 12:24:57 EST 2007

 From our list of 72 items in our new Fall catalogue now posted on our
web site: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also in the catalogue are fine
Signed Presidential and Literary items, Early Printed Books, and our
usual selection of the unusual.

ADAMS,  John Quincy. ORATION ON THE LIFE AND CHARACTER OF  GILBERT
MOTIER  DE  LAFAYETTE....  Washington: Gales and  Seaton  1835.  First
Edition.  Contemporary  full red straight-grained morocco  nicely  and
professionally  rebacked.  Original blue wrappers bound in.  INSCRIBED
and    SIGNED   on  the  front   blue  wrapper:   "The   Lawrenceville
Lyceum/from/John Quincy  Adams."  Books inscribed by Adams  are  quite
uncommon.   This title  is most often found signed on  a  presentation
slip  pasted  in  rather than in the actual book as it  is here.   The
first  child of a president to become a president, the first president
to  be  a published poet, and the first president to be  photographed,
Adams  was certainly one of our most intelligent presidents and one of
the  greatest  humanitarians to hold that office.  He is perhaps  best
known  for two accomplishments outside his term: the authorship of the
Monroe  Doctrine  as  secretary of state and  his  heroic,  successful
argument  before the Supreme Court to free the Amistad slaves.  On the
first  blank  is an ink Lyceum Library notation dated 1836, and  there
is  a faint "withdrawn" stamp on the front endpaper well below Adams's
writing.  Also below it are a number of pencil names.  At the rear are
two pencil notations noting Adams's presenting the book to the  Lyceum
on 19 March 1836. Near Fine and scarce.                     $12,500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com