[Rarebooks] FS: Josiah Quincy Presentation

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Dec 3 12:31:36 EST 2007

 From our list of 72 items in our new Fall catalogue now posted on our
web site: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also in the catalogue are fine
Signed Presidential and Literary items, Early Printed Books, and our
usual selection of the unusual.

[QUINCY,  Josiah]  FUSELI,  HENRY (AUTHORED  AND  EDITED  BY  JOHN
KNOWLES).  THE LIFE AND WRITINGS OF HENRY FUSELI.  Inscribed by Josiah
Quincy  with  AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) by Quincy.  London:  Henry
Colbun/Richard  Bentley  1831.  First Edition.  Three  octavo  volumes
bound  in  half polished calf with calf corners: xvi, (2),  439;  (2),
2-391;  (3),  4-408  pages.  Frontis portrait  in  the  first  volume.
INSCRIBED  and  SIGNED  on  the front free endpaper:  "Mr.  Nathan  F.
Baker/with  the  respects  of/Josiah Quincy/15.  Feb.  1847.  Boston."
Tipped  in below the inscription is a one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED
(ALS)  to  Baker  dated  the same day as the  inscription:  "You  have
bestowed    on  me  an  object,   doubly  valuable,  as  a   permanent
remembrancer  of  the features of one friend and a perpetual  memorial
of  the genius and kind feelings of another.  I have nothing  of  like
nature to  reciprocate.  Permit me, however, to request you to  accept
and  take home with you, the accompanying volumes.  While recalling to
your  memory  the genius and virtues of a great artist, I  hope,  they
will  occasionally  revive  in  your   mind  the  recollection  of  an
individual,  who is desirous always to exist in it as Your well wisher
and obliged friend, Josiah Quincy."  Josiah Quincy (1772-1864) was the
congressional  representative from Massachusetts, mayor of Boston, and
a president of Harvard.  He sponsored a bill for admission of  Orleans
Territory  as  a  state.  He  was the son  of  Josiah  Quincy,  Sr., a
political  leader in the American Revolution who opposed the Stamp Act.
Front  hinge of the first volume cracked and loose but holding by  the
cords.  Some  rubbing  to  the  leather;  contents  clean.  Very  Good
                                                               $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent